When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Murray Happi Time Tricycle Tires

-

b0baganush

On Training Wheels
I am currently in the process of restoring my dad's old tricycle as a gift and I have ran into a problem with the tires. In the past he had purchased a pair of Clipper 8x1.50 tires for the rear wheels. I attempted to install them today by boiling for about 20 minutes. The tires did not fit very well and eventually split leaving about a 1 inch gap. Luckily I was able to find the one old tire that was on the trike and it is an Orco Air King 8x1.5.

Should there be a difference between the two tire brands? If I am able to locate a pair of the Air Kings will I run into the same issue with them splitting? Thanks for the information.

I always thought they were supposed to be interchangable. However, that being said, I have bought tires from different sellers that were supposed to be the same size (size imprinted on the tire wall was the same) and laying one on top the other a difference was visible on both inside and outside diameters. Can't recall now what brands they were. There was not a great deal of difference but probably enough that I would have had the same experience with the smaller one as you if I tried to mount it. I believe I resold the one that I thought was too small. If it were me, I'd heat up the Orco and remove it, then you'd have the exact size to compare replacement IDs and ODs with that you might want to buy. Besides Clipper and Orco Air King, sometimes you can also find NOS Swan, Firestone, and Top Flight tires. There are also tires (aftermarket?) with no name brand you'll see for sale with ony a size stamped near the inside of the tire. If they match your Orco they should still work.

I actually was successful in mounting a 16x1.75 trike tire by leaving it out on the hot sidewalk on an upper 90s Summer day for a few hours, though boiling would have made it a bit more pliable and easier to mount.

Dave

I measured the ID of the rim itself and it has a 17 inch circumference. I then measured the Clipper replacement tires and the ID circumference was 16 inches. I was able to fish the old tire that was originally on the rim out of the trash and measured the ID circumference and it came out to about 16 and 7/8 inches. So I guess all tires are not made equally. Thanks for your help with this Dave.

Back