When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Murray serial number project.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

30thtbird

Finally riding a big boys bike
Needed to do this for a while, so here is what I have figured out so far. There has been many people along the way that has contributed and a few that has helped set me straight. hahaah.

I don't know how far back this goes , but I know that Murray used a single letter to represent the year since at least 1949. Most of these bikes up until the early 60's had the serial number stamped on the bottom of the bottom bracket. I have seen the letters MOS stamped on most of these. I ASSUME that they stand for Murray of Ohio Supply. This is usually followed by a - and a single letter. That letter will be the year code. After the year code will be a 2 or 3 digit number that stands for the model number. This excludes bikes built for Sears and Gambles(Hiawatha). Sears bikes had a 502 and Gambles bikes had a WG or a WG and a single digit. Sears bikes then had a 2 - 5 digit number afterwards that stood as the model number and was actually used in there catalogs as the part number. Gambles Hiawathas were the same way.

F = 49
G = 50
H = 51
I = 52
J = 53
K = 54
L = 55
M = 56
N = 57
P = 58
R = 59
S = 60
T = 61
U = 62
W = 63
X = 64
Y = 65

In 65 they were changing there serial number style and by then they were on the left rear dropout. Some 65 bikes had an MO5 which stood for Murray of Ohio 1965. After these 3 digits was a 2 or 3 digit model number followed by and X and a 1 or 2 digit number that I will discuss momentarily.
MO5 = 65
MO6 = 66
MO7 = 67
MO8 = 68
In 69, they changed the layout yet again. They dropped the O. They also went to a 4 digit model number.
M9 = 69
M0 = 70
and so on.
This is what I have so far on the X numbers. We need to add to the list as more show up. Ron and I were talking about these numbers recently. We figure that a customer had to order a minimum number of bikes per order to have there own X number. If they didn't order a minimum number of bikes, they possibly shared an X number with a Murray badged bike. Kenny.
X6 or X6? = Otasco
X7 = BF Goodrich
X10 = Westernflyer (Western Auto)
X12 = All Pro (Kmart)
X13 = Murray
X18 = Hiawatha (Gambles)
X25 = Foremost (JC Penneys)
X28 = ?
X43 = Murray
X55 = Murray
X67 = Sportscrest
X69 = Special for 1969 (in 69 only, could have been used other years as a different meaning)
X70 = Special for 1970 (in 70 only, could have been used other years as a different meaning)
X71 = Sportscrest (?) Also Special for 1971 (in 71 only,could have been used other years as different meaning)
X81 = Murray
X82 = Murray
X83 = Might actually be a Sears number??????
X84 = Murray

Last edited:
I just picked up this Murray-built Hiawatha and would like to find out about what year it was produced. Any help would be appreciated.

Serial #WG3605 1 173432

100_2546_87a6d.JPG

100_2484_74599.JPG

I have another number for you the bike has "Supreme" on the chain guard and the Murray symbol on the rack. The numbers are: MO1A24X6 no spaces or dashes under that is I assume SN. of 321888.
Hope this helps.
dscf1795k-1.jpg

By xc204, shot with FinePix S5000 at 2009-08-08
0805091833-1.jpg

By xc204 at 2009-08-18
Oops the rear reflectors were trashed so I made my own flashing version.

Sorry, but until I can find more Gambles catalogs, I can't decypher the year of your Hiawatha. Gambles catalogs are hard to find. Very nice bike though! Kenny.

I have a serial # with no letter..... can you help?

I have a bike with Sear's stamp on the front, the serial # that is on it is:

50 451600 879582. There are no letter's stamped anywhere with the #'s.

Do you have any information on this bike?

Thanks!

Attachments

• bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 2,788
"I have a bike with Sear's stamp on the front, the serial # that is on it is:

50 451600 879582. There are no letter's stamped anywhere with the #'s.

Do you have any information on this bike?

Thanks!"
It looks similar to a "standard middleweight" shown in the 58-60 catalogs. Then again, they generally didn't use Sears name on bikes til after 63. ..Often the second # on a sears bike is a catalog#, and 4516 would be typical, but I didn't see one in the book I have. Also the first # is probably 502, code for 'built for sears'. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
I think this project needs some refinement . I'm adding some pics & #'s of some Murray built bikes I have;
034-1.jpg
I believe this to be 1959-60 all original
035-1.jpg
039-1.jpg
043-1.jpg
042-1.jpg

Your Flightliner is a 59, the full model number for a fully equipped coaster brake bike is 6YM 4690. The 60 models have the later style chainguard. Nice ride!

Back