When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Murray serial number project.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I've scrolled through the thread but cant find the info for this ID found on the left drop out. 21X64-342189 just wondering the year. The seller says there's no other numbers. thnx for any help

murray ID.jpg

Reactions: JLF
I have a Murray Motocross bike with serial number: MO 55750 - 21N 4101912.
I am not sure if the "21N" group is correct, is hard to read.
What year should it be?
78 or around?
The frame looks like this one in the add.
The bike is now parts, I will send it to be repaint.

This Mercury I think looks to be 1950-53? View attachment 500600 View attachment 500601 This one is also mostly original View attachment 500602 View attachment 500603 View attachment 500604 Has Musselman hub
Looks like they used the same tank for years with different insignia....... I have the same tank. Mine is a MO-P code, which dates to a "50. I threw this together to make it a rider= Schwinn wheels. But what i'm curious about are the indentations on the front fender?....... Could it have been a springer? Rack looks the same, different chain guard though........ I've never seen another tank with this insignia before, much less a bike complete. What i've noticed= balloon tire bikes have 3 slots in the chain ring....This is an intermediate with two slots. = a lil easier gearing.
Id'e like to make it OG if possible......... Any help appreciated....... Thanks- Mike

2003_0101LadiesMerc0001.JPG

2003_0101LadiesMerc0002.JPG

2003_0101LadiesMerc0003.JPG

2003_0101LadiesMerc0004.JPG

2003_0101LadiesMerc0005.JPG

2003_0101LadiesMerc0006.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like some Yahoo went at the front fender with a rod and hammer to make those dimples, and he couldn't measure very well either. :eek:
Looks like they used the same tank for years with different insignia....... I have the same tank. Mine is a MO-P code, which dates to a "50. I threw this together to make it a rider= Schwinn wheels. But what i'm curious about are the indentations on the front fender?....... Could it have been a springer? Rack looks the same, different chain guard though........ What i've noticed= balloon tire bikes have 3 slots in the chain ring....This is an intermediate with two slots. = a lil easier gearing.
Id'e like to make it OG if possible......... Any help appreciated....... Thanks- Mike

View attachment 1324092

View attachment 1324093

View attachment 1324094

View attachment 1324095

View attachment 1324096

View attachment 1324097

Probably the result of a crash. I'll bet the truss rods made those dents. Why Schwinn wheels? Were the originals missing or badly bent? Bike looks nice. I'd send that fender off to somebody with a roller. It might come out ok.

I bought it as misc parts on the "bay long ago...... No wheels/bars/light/horn...... But- It was a Mercury.
Only because I have a REAL 50 MERC=car, and wanted the same.........I just lucked out that this was a 50! I think I paid $100 for it! Thanks!

Here is a pic of the serial on the Pod bike I just bought. I believe this is a '37. Looks like they started to stamp the "44" part of the serial, realized they screwed up and started over. Not sure what the "BFLO" is. V/r Shawn

Needed to do this for a while, so here is what I have figured out so far. There has been many people along the way that has contributed and a few that has helped set me straight. hahaah.

I don't know how far back this goes , but I know that Murray used a single letter to represent the year since at least 1949. Most of these bikes up until the early 60's had the serial number stamped on the bottom of the bottom bracket. I have seen the letters MOS stamped on most of these. I ASSUME that they stand for Murray of Ohio Supply. This is usually followed by a - and a single letter. That letter will be the year code. After the year code will be a 2 or 3 digit number that stands for the model number. This excludes bikes built for Sears and Gambles(Hiawatha). Sears bikes had a 502 and Gambles bikes had a WG or a WG and a single digit. Sears bikes then had a 2 - 5 digit number afterwards that stood as the model number and was actually used in there catalogs as the part number. Gambles Hiawathas were the same way.

F = 49
G = 50
H = 51
I = 52
J = 53
K = 54
L = 55
M = 56
N = 57
P = 58
R = 59
S = 60
T = 61
U = 62
W = 63
X = 64
Y = 65

In 65 they were changing there serial number style and by then they were on the left rear dropout. Some 65 bikes had an MO5 which stood for Murray of Ohio 1965. After these 3 digits was a 2 or 3 digit model number followed by and X and a 1 or 2 digit number that I will discuss momentarily.
MO5 = 65
MO6 = 66
MO7 = 67
MO8 = 68
In 69, they changed the layout yet again. They dropped the O. They also went to a 4 digit model number.
M9 = 69
M0 = 70
and so on.

This is what I have so far on the X numbers. We need to add to the list as more show up. Ron and I were talking about these numbers recently. We figure that a customer had to order a minimum number of bikes per order to have there own X number. If they didn't order a minimum number of bikes, they possibly shared an X number with a Murray badged bike. Kenny.
X6 or X6? = Otasco
X7 = BF Goodrich
X10 = Westernflyer (Western Auto)
X12 = All Pro (Kmart)
X13 = Murray
X18 = Hiawatha (Gambles)
X25 = Foremost (JC Penneys)
X28 = ?
X43 = Murray
X55 = Murray
X67 = Sportscrest
X69 = Special for 1969 (in 69 only, could have been used other years as a different meaning)
X70 = Special for 1970 (in 70 only, could have been used other years as a different meaning)
X71 = Sportscrest (?) Also Special for 1971 (in 71 only,could have been used other years as different meaning)
X81 = Murray
X82 = Murray
X83 = Might actually be a Sears number??????
X84 = Murray

1971? (Murray) B.F. Goodrich Challenger
Serial #: M150 1X8 858026

I have a couple of questions.

1. My guess is that M1 probably means 1971, but what about the 50 after that?
2. My bike is badged as a B.F. Goodrich, but it says X7 instead of X8.
3. Why is there a 1 in front of the X?

CORRECTION: It says X8, not X7

Last edited:
Back