When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Murray serial number project.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Glad to jog the old nogin.
Amazing how when we pay pennys for stuff we forget we have it.

The picture was difficult to see but it looked like MOS.

Last edited:
Lets add this one to the mix.

Perhaps a Murray Vanguard??

IMG_0243JPG-1.jpg

IMG_0240JPG-1.jpg

IMG_0239JPG-1.jpg
IMG_0236JPG-1.jpg

IMG_0235JPG-1.jpg

IMG_0233JPG-1.jpg

Head badge is missing though rivets remain and are not loose, no signs of paint on chrome horn tank, Delta Hawk fender light is chrome as well. Something else I have noticed is that on the rack a small star is present under the Murray logo, which I haven't noticed on the few other pictures of this rack that I've seen. I'm suspecting it's a Fleetwood, since they seem to be the only black framed middleweights that Murray made back then.

I suspect that the tank is unoriginal (looks a lot like a Columbia tank that I found on line). I doubt the grips are original, front lamp is missing the lens,

That is a beautiful black 59 Murray and that looks like an original Murray tank to me when I look in the link of a 59 Murray catalog but I don't see that model.

http://murrayeliminatormusclebikes.yuku.com/topic/10/1959-Murray-catalog

Yeah I saw that catalog on line, and to me it looks like the Meteor, except black frame and chrome tank. I only speculated that it was Columbia tank cause I saw one for sale on line and the hole pattern and the front end (by the head tube) looks more like the Columbia than the tank in that Murray Catalog.

Also the Gambles bikes do have a Hiawatha Vanguard line, which I haven't been able to find any mention of in any year Murray. Of course, I'm new to this style of bike and company so I'm still learning/looking. So who knows.

Not that it matters much, I'm probably over time going to powder coat/redecal it and restore what I can on it.

JC Higgins Murray

Here's mine for the project. Hoping for an id on the model and year please!
Thanks for the work here.

974e7c51-1.jpg

vbulletin

Yeah I saw that catalog on line, and to me it looks like the Meteor, except black frame and chrome tank. I only speculated that it was Columbia tank cause I saw one for sale on line and the hole pattern and the front end (by the head tube) looks more like the Columbia than the tank in that Murray Catalog.

Also the Gambles bikes do have a Hiawatha Vanguard line, which I haven't been able to find any mention of in any year Murray. Of course, I'm new to this style of bike and company so I'm still learning/looking. So who knows.

Not that it matters much, I'm probably over time going to powder coat/redecal it and restore what I can on it.

I got one like that for my 9th birthday in 1956. It was my first bike.

Help ID this bike

New to old bikes, this was my Grandmas bike, I think its a 1939 Mercury.
The serial number is MF 1 3736 or MF 13736.
Any help would be appreciated. I have all parts except spokes and hubs and rear sprocket. I have the original horn and headlight parts, D battery operated, and some Stuart Warner floating hubs! Im in the middle of primering the bike and hope to be finished by Xmas.
Thanks in avance, Dave

Attachments

• downsize (1).jpg
    downsize (1).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 535
  • downsize (2).jpg
    downsize (2).jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 524
Back