When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Murray serial number project.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I've got a new number for your list. It's off a 1967 AMC Caravan - sold by ????? (I've read info that points to Woolworth's) Serial #M07 11X96205218.

Attached are pictures of my serial number, my bike (actually my sister-in-law's when she was a kid), and a picture of a head badge off an identical bike.

000_0113.JPG
AMC Caravan - purple head badge.jpg
AMC Caravan - purple right side.jpg
100_3778.jpg
100_3777.jpg

Anyone have any facts on AMC bikes and who sold them?

Thanks,

Ed

AMC Caravan - purple head badge.jpg

100_3777.jpg

100_3778.jpg

AMC Caravan - purple right side.jpg

000_0113.JPG

New Murray for me

I just acquired this old Murray (me thinks it's Murray) from a family member. I am excited to restore and ride. I would like to bring it back to original color and decals. Any help on ID and colors/decals would sure be appreciated.

Numbers on side of rear fork: WG 3 . 827A 264146

It has a Bendix 3 speed Automatic
photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

Murray Built Western Flyer Dating Codes

Wanted to add to your Murray serial number project. Western Flyer bicycles use different
serial numbering systems.....The following chart gives a complete list.

The Murray-Ohio Bicycle (WF) numbers begin with the following letters:

YEAR
1937 M-O-B Plus Serial Number
1938 M-O-C Plus Serial Number
1939 M-O-D Plus Serial Number
1940 M-O-E Plus Serial Number
1941 M-O-F Plus Serial Number
1942 M-O-G Plus Serial Number
1943 M-O-H Plus Serial Number
1944 M-O-I Plus Serial Number
1945 M-O-J Plus Serial Number
1946 M-O-K Plus Serial Number
1947 M-O-L Plus Serial Number
1948 M-O-M Plus Serial Number
1949 M-O-N Plus Serial Number
1950 M-O-P Plus Serial Number
1951 M-O-Q Plus Serial Number
1952 M-O-R Plus Serial Number
1953 M-O-S Plus Serial Number
1954 M-O-T Plus Serial Number
1955 M-O-U Plus Serial Number
1956 M-O-V Plus Serial Number or M-O-T-V
1957 M-O-T-W Plus Serial Number
1958 M-O-T-X Plus Serial Number
1959 M-O-R Plus Serial Number

Finally an ID

So after much time searching the internet I have determined my bike to be a 1963 Hiawatha Vanguard sold by Gambles. WG 3.827A. The only image I could find that shows the decals was one that had been sold on ebay. (pictures below) Note: I have determined that the rear rack on my bike is not original, but I sure like it better than the original.

Now... Is there anyone that can direct me where to find a good head badge and the decals for the chain guard and tank? I have already located the fork darts and front fender light.

Any help would be appreciated.

$(KGrHqR,!h!FC1yVqwHRBQt5hsVI8g~~60_57.jpg
$T2eC16NHJHgE9n0yEjMRBQt5h(QUqQ~~60_57.jpg
$T2eC16Z,!zoE9s5ngMHbBQt5h0vcH!~~60_57.jpg
$T2eC16ZHJFoE9nh6pN!fBQt5hd,qcw~~60_57.jpg

$(KGrHqR,!h!FC1yVqwHRBQt5hsVI8g~~60_57.jpg

$T2eC16NHJHgE9n0yEjMRBQt5h(QUqQ~~60_57.jpg

$T2eC16Z,!zoE9s5ngMHbBQt5h0vcH!~~60_57.jpg

$T2eC16ZHJFoE9nh6pN!fBQt5hd,qcw~~60_57.jpg

Anyone here?

I am new to this stuff. Is anyone reading this? I apologize if I am doing it wrong. My youth and inexperience may prevent me from understanding the nuances and culture of these forums. In short... I have no idea what I am doing.

Can anyone tell me where to find parts and some pictures of this model? (The one in post #72) I contacted NBHAA and they are the ones that told me it is a Hiawatha. That is great, but I don't feel right about buying the report from them. The person emailing me ('LD') seems to think I cannot continue living a productive life without paying for his/her report. I am ignorant to vintage bicycles, other than that, I do pretty well for myself. Presumably for daring to ask questions prior to paying for the report, LD seemed agitated and quite condescending. Has anyone here ordered one of their reports? How was it? Did it have pictures? How many 'scans' were you charged for? What was the total cost? Besides feeling insulted, the whole 'minimum' of 1 scan at $8.50 each makes me nervous.

Please let me know if I should post this in a different thread or start a new one.

Thank you,

Chris

I just picked up this Girls western Flyer, its all original, #MOS 2053 114134 not sure of the model, any help would be great. Sulley

00621-1.jpg

Last edited:
I am new to this stuff. Is anyone reading this? I apologize if I am doing it wrong. My youth and inexperience may prevent me from understanding the nuances and culture of these forums. In short... I have no idea what I am doing.

Can anyone tell me where to find parts and some pictures of this model? (The one in post #72) I contacted NBHAA and they are the ones that told me it is a Hiawatha. That is great, but I don't feel right about buying the report from them. The person emailing me ('LD') seems to think I cannot continue living a productive life without paying for his/her report. I am ignorant to vintage bicycles, other than that, I do pretty well for myself. Presumably for daring to ask questions prior to paying for the report, LD seemed agitated and quite condescending. Has anyone here ordered one of their reports? How was it? Did it have pictures? How many 'scans' were you charged for? What was the total cost? Besides feeling insulted, the whole 'minimum' of 1 scan at $8.50 each makes me nervous.

Please let me know if I should post this in a different thread or start a new one.

Thank you,

Chris
Search this forum for NBHAA,not a lot of positive experiences......just sayin'

X2 Sulley

X 1,286

I had 3 reports done back in the spring. All requested at same time. Took 3-4 months to get back. @ 30 bucks each it seemed. Bad bed side manners , if u understand.

They were thorough but cannot understand why it took so long. Can't be for repeat business based on my experience. For someone so involved in this hobby I would think that they would want to give great experiences to people getting in to the hobby. To preserve the hobby and grow it. All it would take would be some careful use of different dialogue and communication.

It was delivered as promised. Well time was never promised so it was delivered as promised. Just try not be offended by dialogue.

Good luck.

Can anyone tell me where to find parts and some pictures of this model? (The one in post #72)
Thank you,

Chris

Chris,

It took me a long time to finally identifyone of my bikes but I finally found some pictures on line. I started by opening google, then clicking the images link. From there I typed in what I knew (next to nothing) but I'd find a picture that was close, then I'd take some info from that picture (click on the picture and you'll open the link from which it came) and type in the addtional info you find. Finally I was able to find a couple of pictures that told me enough to be able to indentify it. I looked at the configuration of the chain ring, the shape of the chain guard, seats, the brace in the frame, etc. Finally all my efforts were narrowed down. I identified it as an AMC (lots of guys told me that AMC only made Pacers and Gremlins) and that what I meant was AMF. Nope, stuck with it until I found more evidence. It's just a matter of dedication on your part.

Ed

Back