When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Murray serial number project.

-
I picked this up yesterday and want to confirm what I've come up with so far.

Serial number is on the BB. MOD 502 46900Y. 292034.

There's a picture of a very similar bike in post #7 on this thread and it's identified as a 59 - 60. A couple post later someone says it's a 59 because in 60 the chain guard was modernized. Mine has a differer chain guard so I'm "assuming" mine is a 60. However, mine is missimg the tank.
View attachment 1004986
I don't know why my pictures come out upside down.
View attachment 1004991
Different chain guard
View attachment 1004992

So if anyone can confirm or deny my suspicions, I'd appreciate it.
I guess I'll also need the tank. Did these come with jeweled pedals? What does the seat look like?
Thanks for any help.

Ed

These are pages (312 and 313 )out of the 1959 Sears Christmas Wish Book.
page0313.jpg
page0312.jpg

Reactions: JLF
Sven,

Thanks for the pictures from the catalog pages. PERFECT.

Can anyone tell me if the tanks, etc. for all Murray bikes, regardless of who sold them, were the same? (Would a tank from a Western Flyer be the same except for decals?)

Anyone have sny ideas or comments about the 24" JC Higgins bike that I asked about in post #310?

1950 on the 24", Sears bikes were stamped 'MOS', this list reflects Western Flyers, they and other Murray
bikes were 'MO' plus the year.
Murray serial chart.jpg

Hello,

Looking for info on this Higgins bike. Struggling to figure out the year. Thanks for any help.

MOS-L
MOD 502
IMG_9485.jpeg
IMG_9381.jpg

Reactions: JLF
Hello, I'm hoping you can help me with a bike I just picked up. It's a Murray Monterey and I'm trying to figure out when it was made. I've found a couple numbers on the front, the first is MO6 005020 and the second it P3840870. I appreciate any help, thanks!

Hello, I'm hoping you can help me with a bike I just picked up. It's a Murray Monterey and I'm trying to figure out when it was made. I've found a couple numbers on the front, the first is MO6 005020 and the second it P3840870. I appreciate any help, thanks!
Monterey became a retro style cruiser in '77, made through the '90s. A pic may help narrow down the year. Also, the ones made in TN have a black decal at the bottom of the seat tube which usually has a build date.

Monterey became a retro style cruiser in '77, made through the '90s. A pic may help narrow down the year. Also, the ones made in TN have a black decal at the bottom of the seat tube which usually has a build date.

It needs a lot of work. Picked it up for free, it had been sitting outside for who knows how long. Decided it could be a project bike with my oldest.

15637455958077689478331371775689.jpg

Back