When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Murray serial number project.

-
Murray serials didn't move to the head tube til around 1980.
I assumed 1968 because it started with what I thought was M08. Not so sure now that I look at it again. Maybe I'm misreading it. See pic below

IMG_0161[1].JPG

I assumed 1968 because it started with what I thought was M08. Not so sure now that I look at it again. Maybe I'm misreading it. See pic below

MO8 would be '68 if it was on the rear dropout. Companies often repeated numbers and sequences. Some '70s up Murrays have a build date decal just above the cranks, on the seat post tube. Also, '71-'79 bikes have the BMA/6 decal below the seat clamp.

I found this bike two years ago and I am having a hard time trying to find information on it. It is a Murray Ocean Glider and the numbers on it are MO55235 12. Pictures added. If anyone can help will be appreciated. Thanks, Coop.

DSC01870.JPG

DSC01871.JPG

Hi, I just picked up this Hiawatha bike from a friend for free. He was going to put it on the curb. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the year and model. It's a great riding bike. Just needs a few minor adjustments. He unfortunately spray painted the frame. There isn't any rust on the frame. Minor rust from old scratches and dings on the fenders. I would love to restore it for my wife if it's worth it to do so. Otherwise just use it as is. If there's anyone that can offer additional info it would be greatly appreciated! Not sure if it's supposed to have a faux tank or not. It's pretty stripped down. I'm not sure where or if I can find any original parts, front emblem, tank (if it's supposed to have one) and decals. Also if anyone could recommend the best way to bring back its original color and remove rust from fenders? Thanks in advance!!
#J27898
Cheers

View attachment 642350

View attachment 642351

View attachment 642352
This is an Evans Colson built bike.

just picked up this sonic flite project. serial reads MOW 52 ... 155836. not sure if that makes this a '63?

20170811_175709.jpg
20170811_175803.jpg
20170811_175827.jpg

I acquired this 1939/40 Murray-Ohio made double-bar at a recent storage auction...

DerbyStorage.jpg

It has a serial number beginning with MD and I was wondering if anyone knows what these letters denote?
A 1939/40 Derby Speedster recently turned up on eBay, which had a serial beginning with MD. Am I right to assume that the the M stands for "Murray" and the D for "Derby" or do these letters show up on Murray's other brands such as Elgin and Western Flyer? If possible, I'd like to put the correct badge on this beauty and get it back on the road.

ebayderby1.jpg

Below are images of the serial numbers on both frames:

MurrayDerbySerials.jpg

If it is a Derby, I'm going to need a an emblem like this. Anyone have one?

Derbybadge1.jpg

Original 1940 advert showing the Derby Speedster...

DerbyAd1.jpg

Derby maybe?

DerbyKid1.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently, Murray serial codes did not start with MO in 1939 so it looks like the database should be revised. As pictured above, both of the 1939 frames begin with MD (with D indicating 1939). Does anyone know if there is a way to determine the sub-brand (i.e. Derby, Elgin, Western Flyer) from the other numbers? We know that MD10029 is a 1939 Derby but what about my frame (MD21862)? If there are other 1939 Murray / Elgin / Derby / Western Flyer owners out there, please feel free to chime in.

p.s. Found this December, 1939 Pep Boys ad featuring the Derby Speedster.

PepBoysDerby19391.jpg

Back