When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Murray Sonic Flite

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rlazars

On Training Wheels
All, Im in need of some information on a Murray Sonic Flite...serial number not handy at the moment. I bought this bike for my daughter as a surprise for her birthday and Im hoping to get a few minor items looked after before her birthday, week after next. I bought it without much research or knowledge of completeness and it turns out it looks like nearly all of the bits are present and accounted for.

From all of my research it appears to be an early 60's model U-51 and appears to need the following: Correct rear tail lamp or reflectors and Correct rear fender reflector.

The battery holder is pretty corroded but I might be able to salvage the carrier if I knew where to find a battery contact button.

I'm also not convinced the 2.125" tires are correctly sized, according to some of the information out there they should be 1.75 whitewalls so these are likely replacements.

I'll try and get some pictures and a serial number posted back later tonight.

Any information or sources for some of the missing bits is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

Can't help with any parts as I sold all the Murray middle weights I had. You are right about teh tires though--should be 26 x 1.75. V/r Shawn

Thanks much for the tire information!

Im attaching a few pictures to give you an idea of what Im looking for etc.

Thanks again,

Rich

Attachments

• DSC09205.jpg
    DSC09205.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC09206.jpg
    DSC09206.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC09207.jpg
    DSC09207.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC09202.jpg
    DSC09202.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC09203.jpg
    DSC09203.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC09204.jpg
    DSC09204.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 178
Rich,
I have posted below the 62' Murray catalog depicting your rear rack with the tail light assy.
These "Speed Weight" design Murrays also had the lesser option of the "bullet" or "rocket tip" reflectors. But, your rack clearly shows that it had the rear tail light assy.

http://murrayeliminatormusclebikes.yuku.com/topic/82/1962-Murray-Catalog

here is a picture of my rear tailight lens that matches the catalog that was used on my Western Flyer Murray built Sabre Flyer.

That great that your daughter will soon be riding in style on one of the popular Murrays. Good luck with the project.

attachment.php

JD

Thanks for the picture of the tail light, that makes sense to me now. Any suggestions on where to buy proper tires? I found some things on e-bay but im not sure whats the most correct?

These: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121054183126?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661

or these?:http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-BICYCLE-...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a72dbb542

Many thanks for all of your kind replies and assistance.

Ideas on parts sources? or just keep googling around? Obviously this site as well.

Kendas are the commonly replacement tires. They run about $25 ea plus tubes for about $6 ea. Any local bike shop should have either of these in black or white walls. 26x1.75 tires are common.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks much for the information! I dropped off the rims to have them trued up, cant wait to dip them in the Oxalic mix and get them really brightened up.

Nearly Finished

DSC09284.jpg
DSC09282.jpg
DSC09283.jpg

All,

The somewhat nearly finished product. Gifted and ready to ride. I've got to get to radio shack and buy a plastic battery box to repair the beynod repair metal one.

My daughter is thrilled and we keep looking for the remaining missing parts.

I need a middleweight reflector support (I have a lightweight one for trade/sale) and a Tail light.

Back