When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Murray Strato Flite 1965 questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Ok, that makes sense, Thanks! ...and I'll keep the oxalic in mind in case I can't just wax-off the surface cancer...Thanks to you both!

Ok...so I'm working on the wiring and switches for this bike and everything looks to be in fine shape, until I meter all the connections and wow...no wonder why nothing works. The resistance loads across most rivited connections are horrible, the horn is 1.5 volts yet it's plugged in to a 3 volt battery box, the headlamps are 6 volt bulbs so no wonder they only glow, and even then only when you wiggle every wire at once as the wind blows from the south and an earthquake just happens by. What a mess...I don't even know where to start, but there has to be a way to preserve the original design while making it useful again...as it is this will never work...and if it does it'll only work until you hit a bump or something. Anybody try fixing this stuff before? driving me crazy silly darn thing makes me want to drink during the day ....

Make it easy on yourself if you're using the light for originality and don't want to use it for night riding. I have a 52 Schwinn Hornet, a 55 Schwinn Corvette, a 55 and a 58 Schwinn Starlet all of which have just a shell for looks. Besides, they don't give off enough light to see or be seen. For riding at night I use a quick release mount that holds a really powerful LED flashlight and an red LED flasher on the back, same quick release type clamp.

I have a couple Fenix led's that I can always rig to ride at night but my intention is to make this bike work as it should...so far I'm having luck using a 18650 Li-ion, it fits in the battery box and even with the resistance in the wiring the 4.2V is doing pretty well...headlamps are bright yellow/white but the horn sounds like crap as it like 1.5 V.

P_20200727_005600_HDR.jpg

I saw that...not sure what it will do and if it aint broke, don't fix it ya know...but I am curious about what it does. The issue I'm having is where a rivit holds a terminal end which has negative feeds going to both the lights and the horn...which really should (and maybe does) provide a ground to the bike frame through the battery box. Right now, disconnected from the frame that particular wire end where 2 commons come together is being flakey as the devil and a slight wiggle breaks the horn connection wire. Maybe all bolted up it will work fine but on the bench it's a pain to work with. Anyhow, I guess a 18650 battery box inserted into the old D cell box will do the trick once it's all made shock resistant and well grounded...we'll see

Back