When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Muscle bike modification help/ advice.

-

49deluxe

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Good afternoon fellow cabe members. I picked up this muscle bike (1973 Foremost “jc penny”) bike. It’s a 3 speed missing the shifter which is now ordered. My question is what modifications do people do to make it easier for an adult to ride? I’ve heard the trick was to swap out the front fork to a 26” fork and swap the crank to an adult crank for a longer pedal. The longer fork raises the front enough to add the longer crank? I know it’s not a Schwinn stingray but I also didn’t pay stingray prices for it. Thanks for any help or advice

12B81945-1694-45E6-B883-289BE4F7A6A3.jpeg

4B382FFA-F1C5-4392-9C90-E66AB7FCBF4F.png

According to how big an adult you are.
I am 5'8" about 195 lbs and I ride mine as they come unless I am gong for a certain look
Long forks are cool and I use them, but remember they put more of your weight behind the rear tire which can be a problem.
I use long Wald stems and wide bars leaned forward, and make sure the seat clamp is positioned so the seat bolts to it behind the clamp so the seat is as far back as possible.
Hope this helps
Rob

According to how big an adult you are.
I am 5'8" about 195 lbs and I ride mine as they come unless I am gong for a certain look
Long forks are cool and I use them, but remember they put more of your weight behind the rear tire which can be a problem.
I use long Wald stems and wide bars leaned forward, and make sure the seat clamp is positioned so the seat bolts to it behind the clamp so the seat is as far back as possible.
Hope this helps
Rob
Yes, this helps. I’m 5’6” 210lbs. This gives me a bit to think about. Much appreciated

I have no help or advice for you. I just stopped in to say I've been looking for a bike similar to that for a while. It's the bike I learned to ride on - gold color like yours. Except mine was a single speed with a coaster brake. And mine was an earlier year. By 1973 me and my friends had modified our muscle bikes to "dirt bikes" with knobby tires. (The term BMX wasn't in our vocabulary at that time but that essentially was what we were doing.)

Back