When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Muscle bike tires, specifically, Colorline 16” fronts

-
Yes, I showed that to help answer this question as well man. Thanks, I missed the Orange line tire. I did have one like the Green line for the MD Pea Picker I used to own.
Rob
Rob, good to see a green one as well. these tires are very rare indeed

Liz's Stingray book noted they were available as accessory in orange, red, yellow, and green to compliment the rear Krate tires

Rob, good to see a green one as well. these tires are very rare indeed

Liz's Stingray book noted they were available as accessory in orange, red, yellow, and green to compliment the rear Krate tires
Yes that is where I remembered them from.
Probably had several in the 1970s but I was into the white letter tires.
What a putz!

I could go either way with sidewalls. White letters were cool even though other manufacturers were already using them, both front and back, which is why Schwinns decision to only offer a rear option was not all that great at the time.

Redline tires on automobiles were usually only seen on exotics like XKE’s, and the like, so having a colorline tire on a bike was somewhat prestigious. You would also occasionally see redlines on the early musclecars, not just the GTO’s. And, of course, Hot Wheels cars had redlines on them so that pretty much said it all.

The decision to offer paint matching colorlines was a stroke of genius, it was completely unique at the time although I seem to recall Sears offering full color tires In the late 60’s. I don’t remember if they were Grasshoppers or some other brand. Again, only the rears, and they just weren’t as nice looking as the colorlines were.

The two Krate changes we didn’t like were the change from a straight Slik to the Gripper Slik, and the addition of the front fender in 69.

Slicks were simply more dragsteresque. The addition of the siping perplexed us kids.

The worst was that front fender addition though. Rails didn’t have fenders on their front wheels, the rears either, but it wasn’t as noticeable.

The 68 Krate had the rail dragster look.

We got used to the front fender but that didn’t make it better. It actually detracted from the chopped look of that small front tire setup.

Of course if you really wanted to screw up the look of your Krate the addition of one of those old fashioned, expensive, garish bulb horns did the trick. Whoever the marketing executive for those was, he should have been fired alongside Ed Schwinn himself.

My aplologies to those of you who have put horns on your Krates.
Our tastes differ, and I bet your couches still look good from having those plastic slip covers on them for all these years.

I thought so, UA***

Back in my Krate days in the late 90’s I had 3 NOS Color Line Superiors.
They were all 3rd 1/4 1969 and that’s all I ever remember of others I knew about.

FYI, I sold all three to one guy in Tennessee for a $1000 each in 2006.

These photos were captured off my old PC.
COOL Tires for sure.

5321E216-2480-48B6-BFC8-0481BC83C91A.jpeg

831051B1-1509-45AF-A545-45765437BB14.jpeg

6BE89765-F511-4163-8ED1-7373D6422161.jpeg

37475B8D-17E9-41ED-B6DB-4D0BA1DAE083.jpeg

CE80ED72-3CF6-49D7-9D5A-B033F0B0EA20.jpeg

0BA332A5-A09E-464B-84C9-9E7C562ED9D5.jpeg

Last edited:
I thought so, UA***

Back in my Krate days in the late 90’s I had 3 NOS Color Line Superiors.
They were all 3rd 1/4 1969 and that’s all I ever remember of others I knew about.

FYI, I sold all three to one guy in Tennessee for a $1000 each in 2006.

These photos were captured of my old PC.
COOL Tires for sure.

View attachment 1750280

View attachment 1750281

View attachment 1750282

View attachment 1750283

View attachment 1750284

View attachment 1750285
Wow Chris, thanks for the update and those awesome pics, saving to my reference folder.

Interesting on the dates, suspect only a narrow run of these may have been made. And the price back then you got was sky high! I know of an NOS yellow that just recently sold for $1K and the seller had paid up for it too.

Back