When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Musselman Armless Coaster Brake

-

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
Looking for any info I can gather on this Musselman Armless Coaster -

No luck looking up the patent info, any insights?

Also, what is the function of the elongated "nut" on one side of the hub axle?
I have seen it before, generally on a 3 speed internal hub, but what is the function with a coaster single?

Attachments

• DSCN0588.jpg
    DSCN0588.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 360
  • DSCN0587.jpg
    DSCN0587.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 365
The long axle nut is for "hopping up on" the bike easier. The armless musselman hub was used late teens to early 20's on Miami built bikes and other makes. Someone else will chime in with more accurate info

Miami owned Musselman originally and most of, if not all of the Racycles built

had these hubs, front and rear. The rear step on this hub is rare and cool, keep

them together. These were a throwback to "Ordinary" bicycles and "safety" bikes

were mounted from behind as in the old fashion. This went out of style when it was

more convenient to just throw a leg over.

Comeon now, lets see the rest of your Racycle....we see see the edge of the chainwheel in one shot!

were mounted from behind as in the old fashion. This went out of style when it was

more convenient to just throw a leg over.
But you can still buy them today in most bicycle shops because the BMX kids love them!

Also they were popular in pairs for giving rides so you did sometimes see them used on 20s tur 50s bikes.

OK, Musselman & that chainring, very early Racycle?????? Interesting to say the least.

Patent info?

I'd love any further frame-study indicators about how to identify an early Racycle, not something I'm very well versed in but I'm learning steadily.

Does anybody have any information about the Musselman patent info? Any ideas why I'm having little to no luck w/ the number stamped on the hub?

Back