When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Musselman Hub Questions

-

Rustafari

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hey all,
I have a Musselman hub and just trying to make sure it is all good before I lace it up.

The small bearing is broken and needs to be replaced. The larger ones look okay but I would still like to inspect the races.

Questions:
Are there modern replacement bearings that will work and if so, what sizes?

How do I get the large ones off? The races have a lip that seems too big for the bearing to fit over.

Thanks.

Musselman01.jpg

Musselman02.jpg

Musselman03.jpg

Lace up you say? If that is a loose hub and the bike doesn't require a Musselman to be "correct" I would consider using any other period correct brand for better performance. Those are pretty poor brakes.....

Really? Dang. I will do that then. What would you recommend? Most of my bikes have ND hubs but was looking to use something different. Morrow?

In any case, how would I get the bearings off just in the interest of rebuilding this one?

A problem with Morrow, if you don't already have one, is finding one with a good brake shoe cylinder, But Scott (sm2501)(Forum Owner) probably still has some near NOS shoes if you should need one.

Another possibility is to just not use a bearing retainer. To do that, you would need to 'mike' the balls to know what size they are, then order some new balls. (Amazon)(Ebay) Then fill the race area with balls, (Use grease as glue to hold them in place) then remove one ball, and reassemble. That will work in many cases, just be careful...

Surprisingly that large ball cage will slide up and over the lip. The metal between the balls is kinda "springy" and has some give to it. Just work it slowly and evenly from below with a flathead screwdriver. I worked on a Higgins hub just like that one. As far as using a different hub I really like the New D. It is a little task lining up the discs to slide the hub over but they seem to work well.

Another possibility is to just not use a bearing retainer. To do that, you would need to 'mike' the balls to know what size they are, then order some new balls. (Amazon)(Ebay) Then fill the race area with balls, (Use grease as glue to hold them in place) then remove one ball, and reassemble. That will work in many cases, just be careful...

So what kind of balls would I use? I see steel balls, chrome steel and various others. I've heard that some are too hard and will damage the race and cone.

Chromium Steel balls should be fine. I have ordered a few of various sized from amazon, and have used them often.

This should be a good assortment to have from Amazon..
https://www.amazon.com/Piece-Assort...industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1566412998&sr=1-1&th=1

I have used a number of these with no issues. I think I used some loose in a bottom bracket, but mostly in an older retainer that would allow the balls to be exchanged. Actually, all the retainer does is space out the balls. The retainers likely suffer more wear from the balls than the races would. And many of the retainers can be tightened back up with a gentle squeeze from some pliers. I would think wear on the races and cones would more come from a lack of good lubrication than come from the balls themselves. I have seen some pretty cruddy examples of old dried and dirty grease in some of the old bikes I have messed with. I have been using a synthetic marine grade grease in my stuff.The latest grease I got was made by STP I think. A sort of a blue/green looking grease.

Back