When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

musselman hub slack

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

weebob

Finally riding a big boys bike
I finally got to test ride my Elgin with the finned hub wheels and now the hub has a 1/2 turn slack in it...What is the fix on this????
P4060002.JPG

According to my book: slipping of the Musselman hub is a result of: 1) badly worn clutch; 2) worn or damaged sprocket driver or 3) loose sprocket adjustment.

According to my book: slipping of the Musselman hub is a result of: 1) badly worn clutch; 2) worn or damaged sprocket driver or 3) loose sprocket adjustment.
Thanks Gordon,,,,is this problem a common thing,,I ask because there are couple of them on EBAY,, I can use the guts out if them...But if this is common I'll be chancing the same problem,,,,,?????? WEEBOB

Thanks Gordon,,,,is this problem a common thing,,I ask because there are couple of them on EBAY,, I can use the guts out if them...But if this is common I'll be chancing the same problem,,,,,?????? WEEBOB
I don't think it's a common problem. I've had (and still have) many musselman's, and only one had a little slack, but that one was really beat to hell. Probably owned by a paperboy with a downhill route.

For me, they're my favorite hub. Easy to rebuild, lasy forever, and brake awesome. Plus the look neat-o

Here is a nos Musselman driver and clutch. Let me know if you are interested in them. I can't guarantee they will fix your problem, but they are 2 of the 3 possible problems suggested in the book.
MVC-696S.JPG

Here is a nos Musselman driver and clutch. Let me know if you are interested in them. I can't guarantee they will fix your problem, but they are 2 of the 3 possible problems suggested in the book.
View attachment 786956
I have to go out of town for 7-10 days ,,I'll take it apart when I get back ,,does new departure and musselman have the same guts???,,,THANKS,,, WEEBOB

I have to go out of town for 7-10 days ,,I'll take it apart when I get back ,,does new departure and musselman have the same guts???,,,THANKS,,, WEEBOB
Not even close. A Musselman has about 8 internal parts and you can rebuild one in 5 minutes.

A new departure coaster has 6-7 billion parts (give or take a few billion, ) needs special tools to rebuild it (11wrench sizes, chain whip, alignment tool, micrometer, feeler gauge, volt meter, scalpel, big F'ing hammer...) needs 8-9 different types of grease (motor oil, transmission fluid, chapstick, Pam cooking spray, vaseline...) and takes 4 days to rebuild it, then another week to rebuild it again after you rebuilt it wrong the first time.

Not even close. A Musselman has about 8 internal parts and you can rebuild one in 5 minutes.

A new departure coaster has 6-7 billion parts (give or take a few billion, ) needs special tools to rebuild it (11wrench sizes, chain whip, alignment tool, micrometer, feeler gauge, volt meter, scalpel, big F'ing hammer...) needs 8-9 different types of grease (motor oil, transmission fluid, chapstick, Pam cooking spray, vaseline...) and takes 4 days to rebuild it, then another week to rebuild it again after you rebuilt it wrong the first time.

So, we'll just mark you down as 'undecided' on the New Departures. :laughing:

I don't know if this is a common problem, but I have one that does the same thing. I suspect the clutch. My hub does show signs of severe abuse.

DSC_0824.JPG

Back