When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1910 project ( Iver )

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
:fearscream:.....really?

@2jakes
C'mon, now .. 2jakes ... can't you tell by ALL
of the technical inclusions I listed in that entry
that I am being Mr. Smartypants ?!

Doood ... ya gots t' know I loves patination.

That new, ''dipped in nail polish'' look initiates
the Heebie in my Heebie Jeebies ......

Well ... I guess I can forgive you just this once .........

...... patric

post script ..... after I neutralized any thick and
active rust on my '17/'18 F-M ... I used the product
shown in the very last foto. That original paint is
''as-found'' ... no other extra paint was added. The
color of the rust is somewhat controllable. New-
looking rust is not a desired feature in patination.

Krylon Matte Finish Spray was used to seal the deal.

Follow the directions stated on the bottle. Those
priced vary, but hopefully are current.

1917  F-M  001.jpg

1917  F-M  005.jpg

plum-brown-group.jpg

Last edited:
Brush Strokes For A Bonifide Patination :sunglasses:

In the early days of the automobile, bicycles, master furniture and carriage craftsmen painstakingly applied primitive oil-based enamel or varnish primer and finish coatings along with kerosene by brush!
These finishes had somewhat poor opacity which required numerous coats for coverage and took weeks to dry.
They used mainly ink pigments which all tended to be darker colors. These coatings did not withstand weather and sunlight very well and tended to become dry and brittle before long.

Since those paint jobs didn’t last all that long, in those days, it was common for an owner to get some paint at a hardware store or mail order catalog like Montgomery Ward along with a good horse hair or hog bristle brush and re-paint the car.
With the idea of preserving the car, some folks even did it every year or so…by brush of course!

A number of manufacturers including Ford in the Model T line, used a combination of brushing, dipping and even pouring to fully cover and protect the various parts of a car or truck.

The 1920s saw the beginning of the introduction to spray equipment and nitrocellulose lacquers and primers which were developed together to speed application and dry time to a week or less which cut down dramatically the time required to paint a car although they still required labor intensive and time consuming hand rubbing to achieve a shine.
This was not especially true in the production of early trucks however, most 1920s to 1960’s trucks were considered to be no-frills pieces of working equipment built to be used and abused, not to be fussed over and pampered.

A great example of this is with 1930’s Model AA Ford trucks that were built with dull, non-shiny, non-rubbed lacquer finishes.
Rubbing-out was an extra-cost Ford AA truck option that according to a Ford service letter of May 5,1931; cost $15.00 extra for the cab, cowl and hood while a pickup bed cost $7.00.

In addition to reduced dry times, nitrocellulose lacquers were more durable and allowed the use of brighter colored although more expensive pigments. Interestingly, although with constant improvements, the organic-based nitrocellulose lacquer was used by some manufacturers well into the later 1950s when it was replaced with the much more durable acrylic lacquers and primers which were synthetics.

History Timeline and Types of Automotive Paint - Eastwood Garage

Last edited:
Parting includes rust & patina plus the correct Iver badge .... another mother nature restoration. It takes years for the mother nature restoration service to prepare the patina of this bike.

.....Usually pronouncing it as pa-TEEN-uh, although PAT-in-a is also correct.

However you pronounce it, the word is as rich as the objects it describes. A famous New York antiques dealer who lived in the first part of the 20th century said to have used the following analogy to help define "patina" for one of his senior female patrons: "Today you are a lovely woman of 60. However, who you are today is not who you were when you were 20. The difference is patina."

Last edited:
Back