When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my 1950 Schwinn Traveler (?) project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-
Try the plated parts in Simple Green 50/50 with water. Soaked and then hit with the brass brush. Here's how parts cleaned up on the Hercules I gave to a friend last fall.

busy weekend but managed to take it down to the bits and pieces. spent more time on two fasteners than the entire rest of the bike. took a bunch of pics with my camera at the wrong setting, so they came out stupid. got some cool stuff with my fancy phone. here's the bones from a "enhanced" crummy pic..

Schwinn should have used a stainless steel socket head screw on that attachment. Twenty plus years ago I picked up Dremel with a cable extension just for that situation. Well worth the investment and it's great for other hobbies or engraving the Little Lady's name on her nightstand toys so they don't get mixed up with your tools.

I have 10 different ways to remove that rusty nut set both electric and air. I used the chisel so I would not damage anything around it. 3 or 4 smacks with the hammer did it.

I bought some evaporust and a small tray thing to do some smaller parts to see what happens. I want to be sure I know what I am doing before attempting the frame. decals look pretty fragile.

The structure of the "wing" decals Schwinn used are not necessarily any more or less fragile than their others, but the writing on the decals is the main issue - they tend to bleach out all white as exposed to sunlight or as they age. I've seen some of these bikes where the decals are just all white now. I find Evaporust a bit gentler, but also more expensive than oxalic acid deck crystals.

bought Evaporust and some brass brushes, steel wool and a small tub.. I went to my favorite hardware store because it is like America when you go there. Dale Hardware. it has been in my city almost as long as I have. the plastic tubs were expensive there so I bought the small one. off to Wallyworld I suppose so i can do the fenders and chainguard in a cheap tub. I may only dip the top part of the frame.

most of the chrome has been removed from the bucket after a couple hours and some good pieces some not so good. put the crank and brake levers back in. I think my stem and bars will be incredibly pitted.

for all the rust this bike has all but two fasteners came off like this bike was 5 years old. no scarred or rounded hardware. I could not get this bugger off so I am just going to clean it up where it sits.

wonder how many times the rear wheel had been removed from this bike.

this is a bunch of fun. everybody should do it.

Back