When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my 1950 Schwinn Traveler (?) project

-
it had two Schwinn tires, could be original. front had a few patches on the tube. haven't taken the rear tire off to see what is inside the rear. you can patch a tube with the wheel on the bike. I would bet there had never been a wrench on the handlebars or stem.

The clamping of the pulley is less important than that the wheel turns to accommodate movement of the shifter cable as you shift. I suppose you want to remove the pulley to check for rust on the frame underneath, but as long as the wheel turns, that will function. If the wheel is frozen, you will have to work at it to get that small axle screw loose and free the wheel. They don't shift well with a frozen wheel and it accelerates wear on the cable.

They don't shift well with a frozen wheel and it accelerates wear on the cable.

the wheels spins, hopefully the screw comes out so I can remove the pulley and clean it up real good with a Dremel or something. I have been putting PB Blaster on it. maybe it will come loose if I give it another try.

took some items from the "bath" this morning before work. that is amazing stuff. the headset and the brakes came out very nice, except where the chrome had flaked on some of the brake parts. crank and kickstand cleaned up way better than expected. pics later.

the wheels spins, hopefully the screw comes out so I can remove the pulley and clean it up real good with a Dremel or something. I have been putting PB Blaster on it. maybe it will come loose if I give it another try.

took some items from the "bath" this morning before work. that is amazing stuff. the headset and the brakes came out very nice, except where the chrome had flaked on some of the brake parts. crank and kickstand cleaned up way better than expected. pics l

Piece by piece. Then they can go back together. Sounds like is going OK! Even if everything is not perfect it should be a great riding bike. If it shifts OK you have a good one

"then they go back together" .... I think if I had it to do over again I would put like one complete disassembled brake in a jar with its own evaporust. then I would not have to sort through all this little hardware to figure what's what. a little jar for each sub assembly. I'm sure I'll figure it out, but it would have been simpler if they were separated beforehand

"then they go back together" .... I think if I had it to do over again I would put like one complete disassembled brake in a jar with its own evaporust. then I would not have to sort through all this little hardware to figure what's what. a little jar for each sub assembly. I'm sure I'll figure it out, but it would have been simpler if they were separated beforehand
No instructions included. The learning curve can be enjoyable also!

clean parts.

I got the bell to ding. I may have to do surgery to make it ring.

I think before I go any further I will reassemble the brakes. too many tiny washers and such! fenders and wheels next. I have the tip of the front fender in my little tub right now, we'll see how it goes after work. need a bigger tub.

Last edited:
Back