When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1950 Schwinn World Rescue

-
Today is the day I've been waiting for. Got the OA bath cooking. Hot as heck out. Can't wait to see the results.

Sometimes what I do is while it is cooking in the bath I take a clean paint brush or toothbrush and knock off (softly) some of the rust layers it eats through. It might just be me but when there is thick rust it seemed to create a layer of gunk that I had to scrub off. And under that layer of gunk was more rust. So what I started doing was knocking that gunk layer off while it was still in the bath so it could penetrate down. I guess I also like pulling it out of the bath and not having to scrub and rinse too much after.

The OA bath worked better than I hoped. Afterwards I washed everything, rinsed it well and then wiped it all down with WD40. The next day was polish and wax time. The headbadge took a hit though. :cry: I think I must have wiped the nickel toned top layer off of it. Oh well. Next time I think I'll put painters tape over it as a way to remind myself to baby it. Really happy with everything else.

Well I have it all back together and I am really happy with it. It actually turned out better than I hoped. The "soup can" Sachs Torpedo 3-speed is dialed in and working like a charm. I used an old metal pulley wheel to keep it era appropriate along with large cap bow pedals and oval script grips. I'll be looking for a better saddle. I'd like to find a decent sliding rail Messinger. I've seen some nice reconditioned ones but don't want to spend that much and if it's a little worn in that would be fine. The blue paint is still kind of a mystery. Looks like maybe some of it did go blue but then was painted to match og color again. Idk. It's a keeper now.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I want to add that one of my grips was a little loose on the bars and felt un safe so what I did was shim it with a strip of rubber that I cut from an old tube. I didn't want to use anything permanent like rubber cement or glue, etc. It is locked on now and feels great.

Last edited:
Back