When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1953 Panther

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ernbar

I live for the CABE
The wife found a picture of my old Panther I restored back in the late 90s. A fellow worker mentioned he had a neighbor that had an old Schwinn in the garage and wanted $50 for it. I gave my buddy the cash and bought it sight unseen. He brought it to work the next day and I was not impressed! Had no seat or tank, blue rattle can over the entire bike and chromed parts. I used a local shop to re chrome the parts and got the tank, grips, carrier, seat, light and decals from Memory Lane Classics. The serial number made it a 1953 Panther. It also has a keyed fork. I rattle canned it , painted the pin stripes then wet sanded and polished the paint. What information and guidance I got came from Memory Lane. I kept it for several years and rode it but sold it around 2007. I wish I still had it.!

The important part is that one of these classic bikes went from a garage heap to a bicycle that is back in the pool of examples. Collecting bikes can be fun, but the highest form of the hobby is to start with a bike core, garage heap, or yard sale junk, and turn it back into a complete, classic bike. You're actually adding to the pool of good, vintage bicycles when you do that.

It is also one of the most expensive forms of the hobby because you'll spend more on paint, chrome, and parts than the bike will be worth in the end. But if you enjoy doing it and have the money, why not? That garage heap was probably heading for the landfill or scrapper if it sat there for long enough. But because of your work, it is a complete, classic bike that people in the future can enjoy. That's why I call that kind of work the highest form of our hobby.

Thank you Mike. I hate to see these old classics deteriorate away and end up as trash. I was working at the same time restoring a 1955 Chevy 210 two door hardtop. It’s just an amazing feeling bringing the glamour and beauty to these objects of the past.

That's a very tastefully done 1955 Chevy restoration in a very attractive color.

Thanks. Colors match the cowl plate, India Ivory over Cashmere Blue, correct for June 1955, two tone blue interior. Power was 265 V8 backed by a two speed Powerglide auto transmission with factory power steering. She was a delight to drive and again, VERY sorry to have sold her.

Back