When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1974 Schwinn Le Tour find

-

Ernbar

I live for the CABE
This beauty was listed on Craig's list not far from my house. The owner said he rode it maybe twice and it looks it. The bike is in brand new condition with maybe 8-10 tiny paint chips and a few tiny rust specks on the rims, very minor. The chrome was dull but polished out with some 0000 steel wool and Flitz metal polish. The original tires had partially melted on to the rims which took me a couple of days to clean them up. I got a set of gum wall tires to replace the melted ones. The bike sat for decades in a storage shed away from the elements. The final price was $75!
The original seat looks to be brand new but it's VERY uncomfortable so it was replaced with a light brown one with some light padding and man what a difference this new seat makes. I also replaced the original Schwinn black handlebar tape with red NOS Schwinn tape. I also added a red 'clamp on' water bottle cage. I also added a vintage Eastpak saddle touring bag.
I used the wife's luggage scale and the bike weighs 27 lbs. I spend several hours trying to adjust the gears but gave up and took it to a bike shop near my house. The mechanic did an excellent job adjusting the gears and it shifts very smoothly and only cost me $25 for a complete gear adjustment front and back. The three bike shop guys were amazed at how good a condition this 45 year old bike is in. They said it looks like it just rolled out of the local Schwinn shop! Hope you like the pictures.

IMG_3331[885].jpg

IMG_3330[884].jpg

IMG_3332[883].jpg

IMG_3333[882].jpg

Last edited:
This beauty was listed on Craig's list not far from my house. The owner said he rode it maybe twice and it looks it. The bike is in brand new condition with maybe 8-10 tiny paint chips and a few tiny rust specks on the rims, very minor. The chrome was dull but polished out with some 0000 steel wool and Flitz metal polish. The original tires had partially melted on to the rims which took me a couple of days to clean them up. I got a set of gum wall tires to replace the melted ones. The bike sat for decades in a storage shed away from the elements. The final price was $75!
The original seat looks to be brand new but it's VERY uncomfortable so it was replaced with a light brown one with some light padding and man what a difference this new seat makes. I also replaced the original Schwinn black handlebar tape with red NOS Schwinn tape. I also added a red 'clamp on' water bottle cage. I also added a vintage Eastpak saddle touring bag.
I used the wife's luggage scale and the bike weighs 27 lbs. I spend several hours trying to adjust the gears but gave up and took it to a bike shop near my house. The mechanic did an excellent job adjusting the gears and it shifts very smoothly and only cost me $25 for a complete gear adjustment front and back. The three bike shop guys were amazed at how good a condition this 45 year old bike is in. They said it looks like it just rolled out of the local Schwinn shop! Hope you like the pictures.

View attachment 1031843

View attachment 1031845

View attachment 1031847

View attachment 1031848
I have a blue one. Great rider. Yours looks brand new. Nice find

Last edited:
It does look like was just rolled out of a Schwinn shop. Brilliant red paint. I like your choice of the red handlebar tape.

Back