When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 42 Westfield FB marketplace find.

-

Goldslinger

Finally riding a big boys bike
KIMG0474.JPG

KIMG0491.JPG

KIMG0475.JPG

I have been looking for a bike to do a ww2 tribute bike. All the junk I have looked at was too expensive. I found this couple hours away and the person was a picker and he just pulled it out of an old barn. He listed it as a 1950s Columbia. The pictures weren't real clear and I didn't want to ask too many questions so I took a ride Saturday. When I got there and looked in the back of his truck I could hardly contain my good fortune. It needs a lot of love, but it is a good start. I have restored a 52 Willys so I know the hunt for the right parts will add to the fun .Well what do you think of it? Anybody that has some of the correct parts I need ,I would be interested to know what you have. I will follow up with a parts list of what this old boy needs. Thanks Sam

Hi Sam,

hence your question about the material for headbadges.

It's one of the earliest MG frames so far recorded, very nice (-: There should be another set of letters and numbers stamped on the bb, (possibly H12, J1 or J2) which will allow better dating, but it should be from the first couple of months of 1942. Please tell us if you find them. Also, if it is a Morrow rear hub, the date code on that too.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi Sam,

hence your question about the material for headbadges.

It's one of the earliest MG frames so far recorded, very nice (-: There should be another set of letters and numbers stamped on the bb, (possibly H12, J1 or J2) which will allow better dating, but it should be from the first couple of months of 1942. Please tell us if you find them. Also, if it is a Morrow rear hub, the date code on that too.

Best Regards,

Adrian
It doesn't have a Morrow hub it has a Bendix shifting hub. The other number is J3. When I first started this project I figured I would spend a couple hundred dollars on a clone bike to ride around at car shows and swap meets. But now I will have to do it right. I will take some more pictures when I get a chance.

Hi Sam

Thanks for the J3 (March 1942) number. There seems to have been a mix of J2 and J3 frames at the beginning of MG production, so I guess production started late February 1942, and they were building up the frames as they arrived on the shop floor.

This is the closest serialed bike after yours, MG43298, quite original, if you click on the camera icons on the page, it gives some detailed pictures, so you will get an idea of what you will be looking for.

http://www.bergerwerke.com/prod699MG2.html

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hello;
Leave in the morning in the idea of finding and buying a bike to make a WW2 tribute and leave later with a good G519, COOL!
Head badge still brass for an frame L3.
Good pick and good restoration, he deserves a second chance!
Regards;
Serge

I have been doing a little paint removing to check things out. The wheels are OD paint on the inside but the outside is chrome with OD overtop of it. Do you think that this bike is so early that they used old stock chrome and painted them OD? It has the right spokes and hub.

Back