When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My attempt at a rat bike.

-
I like the way you think.
I prefer more friendly compounds for rust agents when applying a solution to oxidize metal. As opposed to acid.
Mix Ratio 80:20
80% Hydrogen Peroxide...20% Vinegar...Add Salt to saturation point. Grab some booze!!!
This oxidizing solution works well, is easy on the hands, and enjoyable to breathe.

Cheers~

View attachment 1349316

View attachment 1349317

View attachment 1349318

View attachment 1349319

View attachment 1349320

View attachment 1349321

View attachment 1349322

View attachment 1349323
That's the method I use too! I usually go a little darker with more coats so it looks more of a brown vs an amber color though. Faux "patina" & rat making fun :cool:

I think you hit a home run! The flat black / red look is overplayed.

And a definite no to added rust. There's enough organically rusted bikes out there (I have my share, so not a judgement). Keep it clean.

I dig the flat/matte - semi gloss black but so tired of red wheels! Do a lime green or even rusty red primer & mist some brown over it. Heck red primer, then color paint & scuff it back some with a wire brush would look better than a fresh RED wheel :confused:
Yeah, the brightly contrasting wheels are a bigger point of contention for me. And I've done red wheels on flat black (on a Vespa, of all things). I'm not going to knock anyone's work. I just think the OP did a fantastic job here, and only want to let him know I like what he did better this way, than what he might have done.

Here's my attempt at a rat bike.

Started out as a '59 or '60 AMF Roadmaster middleweight I bought off CL cheap. I stripped the fenders and chainguard off, put some balloon whitewalls on it, and a set of 24 in. ape hangers w/ a BMX toploader stem. Put a new cruier seat I had lying around on it, and it's a pretty nice riding bike. I'm 6'2, so the ape hangers aren't an issue.

I decided against powder coating the wheel hoops red, since if I did I'd have too much $$ in it to call it a rat bike. Plus the paint on the frame is too nice to paint flat black over. It's supposed to be the antithesis of my red Roadmaster.

View attachment 501041

View attachment 501042
Very nice . I just got the same bars for this trike project I'm about to start.

IMG_20230620_235540.jpg

Back