When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Bowden Project

-

Dave Stromberger

I'm Afraid I Can't Let You Do That
System Administrator
Looky what I found! Needless to say, I'm kinda excited about this!

It's the raw parts to one of the reproduction Bowden Spacelander bikes. Pre-production stuff I think. I'm working on getting more info, which I'll share later.

My Bowden Spacelander - Shells and Frame-001.JPG

My Bowden Spacelander - Shells and Frame-002.JPG

I’m excited just waiting for the next picture to load..! I recently helped a friend shipping one of those. I’m fascinated by them and I appreciate your sharing this one. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To finish a thought, I wondered what was inside. Wasn’t mine to open but I was tempted.. I know you’ll do an amazing job on this. I can’t wait to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the scoop so far:

I talked to Jerry Turner of Nostalgic Reflections (nostalgicreflections.com). He was involved in making the fiberglass molds and many (most?) of the special pieces that were used in the reproduction bikes. He made the fiberglass shells, badges, and the stainless steel trim that I have.

I bought this from the estate of Jim Tipke (tipkemfg.com), who passed away not too long ago. He was a professional fabricator and made the frame and fork himself for this, his personal bike that he was building to keep. This frame is not like those used in the reproduction bikes, it's entirely unique. And the fiberglass shells, which were provided by Jerry Turner are also not quite like the ones used for the reproduction bikes. They must be a test run, they are a bit on the crude side and will require quite a bit of fitting and re-work to make them fit and look good. I'm not complaining though, because I got this stuff for the right price and I'm having some fun with it!

Should I make this look as close as possible to an original, or customize? Not sure what I'd do different that'd look better than original, other than maybe a different color that wasn't offered?

Last edited:
Back