When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My "chrome Cousins" Together For The First Time

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Evans200

I live for the CABE
In Memoriam
1962 Hiawatha Silver Jet and 1964 Sears Spaceliner DeLuxe.

I believe it's time for middleweight bikes to start gaining interest with collectors. Don't get me wrong, I love balloon bikes too. They are the back bone of the hobby. But I think that in order for this hobby to stay strong, our type of bikes has to appeal to young people. And young people don't have a lot of money. That's where the middleweights come into play. They are affordable, ride-able, and if you choose the right ones, every bit as eye-catching as their heavier brothers. That's the key, get the young ones hooked at the right price point. As their addiction and income grows, they'll become full fledged addicts, and pass it on to the next generation. It works with old cars, it can work here too. Not everybody can afford a 57 Chevy convertible, but a lot of people can afford a 57 Chevy 4 door sedan. We are the SEDAN collectors, be proud.
100_2692.JPG
100_2698.JPG
100_2696.JPG
If you like and collect middleweights, let it be known. This hobby isn't just about balloon bikes, but ALL old bikes.

That's a couple of beautiful bikes!

I know it's not very "couth" but I love middleweight bikes. I have some nice balloon bikes but I just can't pass up those prices you can get a beautiful middleweight for still. And you described me perfectly even though I'm not young.....I love middleweight bikes and I own a 1952 Chevy 4-door Coupe.

76.jpg

I was just laughing to myself....I also own a Dyna class Harley so I guess I'm even more about the "middleweights" than I thought.

BTW, none of those people are me or my family. Those are clients with my Harley and Chevy.

07132014 J (1247).jpg

I'll admit, when I started collecting bikes, I was all about the middleweights. Tanklights, specifically.
They were more affordable and yes, a lot easier to ride.
I have gravitated to the rarer ballooner market. It's more costly and parts can be a challenge to find.

But, I still have some of my favs of middleweights.

a01b36a6e6ab0593dd7a6ff78320e5d1.jpg

6f5cc12acb73e93d80553f48c943a536.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
JD, we're both in the same boat! These darn middleweights can be a real distraction when you collect on a budget. Every time I have half the money saved for a balloon bike, another middleweight pops up that I can't resist, lol. So now, my collection of 5 bikes has one ballooner! But I'm determined that the next one won't be a middleweight (we'll see) I have to balance the collection.
11903924_953522271377720_8386097328617492098_n.jpg

1962 Hiawatha Silver Jet and 1964 Sears Spaceliner DeLuxe.

I believe it's time for middleweight bikes to start gaining interest with collectors. Don't get me wrong, I love balloon bikes too. They are the back bone of the hobby. But I think that in order for this hobby to stay strong, our type of bikes has to appeal to young people. And young people don't have a lot of money. That's where the middleweights come into play. They are affordable, ride-able, and if you choose the right ones, every bit as eye-catching as their heavier brothers. That's the key, get the young ones hooked at the right price point. As their addiction and income grows, they'll become full fledged addicts, and pass it on to the next generation. It works with old cars, it can work here too. Not everybody can afford a 57 Chevy convertible, but a lot of people can afford a 57 Chevy 4 door sedan. We are the SEDAN collectors, be proud. View attachment 294807 View attachment 294808 View attachment 294809 If you like and collect middleweights, let it be known. This hobby isn't just about balloon bikes, but ALL old bikes.
Great article beautiful bikes.

"Evans200".....Al's post brings back memories. He died WAY too young. I sold him the men's Spaceliner. Wonder what happened to his collection? I saw a couple of them on here for sale by his family I assume. I had been to his place and had seen his great collection.
Miss you Al!

Mike

"Evans200".....Al's post brings back memories. He died WAY too young. I sold him the men's Spaceliner. Wonder what happened to his collection? I saw a couple of them on here for sale by his family I assume. I had been to his place and had seen his great collection.
Miss you Al!

Mike

... I've also been fortunate enough to see his collection just after he passed ... A couple of his ballooners were retained by a family friend ... I ended up with his Monark Coupe deVille ... RIP Al ...

Back