When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My collection ww1 WESTFIELD COLUMBIA military model

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hello;
Found last week in a flea market of spare parts of cars and old motorcycles, a superb 1918 rear rack .
20190225_182109.jpg

20190225_182011.jpg

Right 1903 E1.jpg

(courtesy @Mercian)

Regards;
Serge

Hi Serge,

You certainly have more luck than I do down here, but then Haute Savoie didn't really see the same action in either WW1 or WW2.

The bike rack is interesting. Until recently, when I found the pictures ofthe bike with the rack and rifles, there was no 'type' of rack specifially associated with these bikes. Even after finding the pictures, I wasn't convinced that the rack shown was necessarily a military rack, it could have been something obtained just to demonstrate the possibility of fitting one.

However, finding a US rack of exactly the same type in France, in an area where the bikes also occasionally surface tends to make it more certain that this is a particular rack used with these bikes.

Since we did not have these pictures this time last year, would you have walked past this rack if you'd seen it at an earlier show? How many have we missed over the years? (-:

Have a Good Weekend,

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hello Adrian;
When you find a piece, there is always a bit of luck; but as i always say the basis of any self-respecting collector is the documentation ( archives, catalogs...), without it there has no knowledge.
He was found in a show in Champagne behind a stand at the bottom of a crate, the seller said he found it between Dijon and Langres ( the former camp bourg?).
How many percent of bicycles have been equipped with a rear rack by US ARMY in France?
59dcf9261bde0_wwi_us_doughboy02.jpg.2e77a829b47f34d02bea2a70738815e4.jpg

armybicycleog.jpg

On the second picture with this Polish soldier in France, we guess the rear rack behind his left arm.
For your question, yes and no. but without knowing, i would have taken that even and you know why?

Regards;
Serge

Hi Boz,

I didn't know that, thanks. Do you know where it is possible to see a copy of the original contract?

Best Rgards,

Adrian

Hi Boz,

I didn't know that, thanks. Do you know where it is possible to see a copy of the original contract?

Best Rgards,

Adrian
Adrian,

I'll see if I can find the newspaper article that called for the WWI bicycles to have a rear rack on them.

Boz

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back