When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Coppertone match . . .

-

PetesPonies

Look Ma, No Hands!
How'd I do ? ( he says with a snear )

413468517.jpg

This is an AMF Renegade. I'm building an Esso Bike. I used the Schwinn piece as a guide as its the only thing that is Coppertone that I could get my hands on. Not sure how close the Schwinn color is to the AMF . . . but it surely matches the Schwinn.

413468518.jpg

Looks like a match to me. Curious what you used. I have three Coppertone Schwinn lightweight frames and not one is the same, or even close in color.

Looks like a real good match to me. I am also curious what you used, Testors?

Thanks. Well a little background. I paint. I do mostly Mustang restorations, but a little of everything. I also like doing motorcycle tins, easy and fun money. I end up doing several a year. People send them to me, I do all the work and send them back. Recently I have done two 1970s Honda candies. Candy is a lot of work, but I love ding it. And a good break from cars and trucks. I have an Apply Krate I restored for myself. I used Pete's paint, sprayed with a touch up gun, turned out beautiful. I didn't "want" to go to all that trouble with this one. So I read to see what people were using and decided to shoot a large flake silver base that I had for candy work I do. I followed that with Metal Cast from a spray can :) I can honestly say, it looked horrible. The spray pattern is very wide, usually a good thing. But painting a frame , as most of you know, means really painting many individual tubes. When using my touch up spray gun, I can shut the fan way down and get exactly what I want. The spray can . . no control at all. So treating this Metalcast as a "candy" . .just didn't work. The pattern was so large it sprayed all over the place, not just the tube you wanted sprayed. So I ended up spraying much more on, to get a consistent color, than should have been done. I decided this was just the base for what I would do next.So, staying low tech and convinced I could make this work, I bought 2 VHT paints, 402 and 404. One is Gold Flake and the other is Burnt Copper. I sprayed the Gold first and it brought the color back down closer to what I wanted . .actually a bit on the yellow side from what I wanted. But that was just fine. I did very light coats. I then switched to the Burnt Copper and again, very light coats. I was able to treat it more like a translucent color ( it is not, but when very thin it almost is ). I had the Schwinn piece I could use to check my color and BAM . .spot on :) Then I followed with some clear. I'm not 100% sure the color is influenced by the first Metalcast ?? meaning, could I achieve the same look with the two colors of VHT as I had done with three colors. When I do the chain guard and fork, I'll let you know :)

Here's some stuff I have done lately, first is a custom green candy I mixed.

413269396.jpg

Next pic is a candy that almost beat me. I never should have agreed to do it . .the customer was asking for too much. It may just look like a typical custom job, but it was a lot of steps, a lot. And if anything got messed up ( and it did ) you had to start all over. In hindsight I could have steered the customer to other materials that would have been much easier to work with.

413238175.jpg

413240006.jpg

So if anyone wants any help in doing the Coppertone, using basically, what I used, just ask.

Last edited:
Thanks for describing your process on that Coppertone. For some reason I kind of remember going thru a process like that myself. Fun stuff!

Back