When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My dad passed away and I now have his old Schwinn bike (D-12?)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Late to the party, but one more vote for cleaning it up rather than repainting it. You can get kits to help dupicate that paint pattern, but in the old bike world, original is just about always more desirable. That doesn't look bad at all. It will shine up nice!

The serial number is either under the bottom bracket (under the crank) or on a dropout next to the rear axle nut. Post a picture of the serial number and we can probably figure out what year it is, or at least narrow it down.

Welcome to the CABE!

Yeah it does look like your dad's bike is in in the range of a 1950. Also I'bet that your rear wheel, the coaster hub, brake guts, the grease in it dried out and instead of taking it apart or B/C after trying to fix it B/C it would have had a New Departure brake, and they can be a bit tricky to reassemble, he got another rear wheel, used or whatever. . And that would be about the same time period he added new pedals and seat.

There's two new holes drilled into the rear stays. IDK what the heck he did that for but must have done it a long time ago, even before he repaired it. For value as a collectible that's a bad idea. Regardless, I'd try and figure it out to get back before the new or replacement items were put on.

Otherwise, you may consider and pin down, by age, how long he'd owned the bike. If in the 1950's then it should have had fenders . If in the 70-80's then, may not have fenders and Acessories where he may have wanted it to be lighter, maybe for rock or street jumping, work or school.

I mean, if you want to memorialize the bike, what did it look like when he got it. Or what period would serve as his most enjoyable memory. And why in the heck he'd drilled those holes as, it would have weakened the frame's durability yet, there's a reason,, best guess is some type of accessory or something for a passenger to grab? IDK. .

In the least, I'd be looking at replacing the rear wheel to match the front in color and wear B/C, likely had the grease not dried, it would prob. still be there and then consider what else he would not have changed that, if it wasn't warn out, it would still be there. . New pedals: whether old, worn out or not, by about 1970 was to help safety and lite it at night.

Option 3. Every thing it is now, is the memorial as it sits, his history or moreover: The story lives in the modifications and as long as it still works, clean, and polish the paint but don't touch the pin stripes as they can disappear with sponge and soap and water, brass wire brush the chrome, lube it up; call it good. Ride it with a "Thanks Dad!" and enjoy.

Last edited:
one more vote for just clean it up and ride. look for a matching rear wheel here, fenders too if you like fenders. everything you want to know about old bikes is here on the Cabe. 5 out of 6 internet bike searches bring you here for the answers
That’s how I got here and am so glad I found it!
one more vote for just clean it up and ride. look for a matching rear wheel here, fenders too if you like fenders. everything you want to know about old bikes is here on the Cabe. 5 out of 6 internet bike searches bring you here for the answers
Late to the party, but one more vote for cleaning it up rather than repainting it. You can get kits to help dupicate that paint pattern, but in the old bike world, original is just about always more desirable. That doesn't look bad at all. It will shine up nice!

The serial number is either under the bottom bracket (under the crank) or on a dropout next to the rear axle nut. Post a picture of the serial number and we can probably figure out what year it is, or at least narrow it down.

Welcome to the CABE!
Will look soon!

Yeah it does look like your dad's bike is in in the range of a 1950. Also I'bet that your rear wheel, the coaster hub, brake guts, the grease in it dried out and instead of taking it apart or B/C after trying to fix it B/C it would have had a New Departure brake, and they can be a bit tricky to reassemble, he got another rear wheel, used or whatever. . And that would be about the same time period he added new pedals and seat.

There's two new holes drilled into the rear stays. IDK what the heck he did that for but must have done that a long time ago, even before he repaired it. For value as a collectible that's a bad idea. Regardless I'd try and figure it out to get back before the new or replacement items were put on.

Otherwise, you may consider and pin down, by age, how long he'd owned the bike. If in the 1950's then it should have had fenders and chain guard. If in the 70's then, may not have fenders and Acessories where he may have wanted it to be lighter, maybe for rock or street jumping work or school.

I mean, if you want to memorialize the bike, what did it look like when he got it. Or what period would serve as his most enjoyable memory. And why in the heck he'd drilled those holes as, it would have weakened the frame's durability.

In the least, I'd be looking at replacing the rear wheel to match the front in color and wear B/C, likely had the grease not dried, it would prob. still be there and then consider what else he would not have changed that, if it wasn't warn out, it would still be there. .

Option 3. Every thing it is now, is the memorial as it sits, his history or moreover: the story lives in the modifications and as long as it still works, call it good.
Can you point out the holes you’re talking about? Let’s pretend I don’t know what the rear stays are. Haha.
Also, any idea where I would learn about what you are talking about with-
”rear wheel, the coaster hub, brake guts, the grease in it dried out and instead of taking it apart or B/C after trying to fix it B/C it would have had a New Departure brake, and they can be a bit tricky to reassemble, he got another rear wheel” and how I would replace it all?

et’s pretend I don’t know what the rear stays are. Haha.
Also, any idea where I would learn about what you are talking about with-
”rear wheel, the coaster hub, brake guts, the grease in it dried out and instead of taking it apart or B/C after trying to fix it B/C it would have had a New Departure brake, and they can be a bit tricky to reassemble, he got another rear wheel” and how I would replace it all?
"Can you point out the holes you’re talking about?"

Y
ou don't need to Pretend' B/C most people have no clue, and I had doubt you'd get that too except, if you began hunting for holes in the frame. It's a bit tough but maybe can point it too U in your 1st photo. Go to seat, less than half way to the center of it, below there's a thinner tube, part of the whole frame. In photo that tube has tire behind. At that spot there's a black dot. I believe the dot is the hole. That smaller tube is called the rear stay. B/C there appears to be a hole (black dot) in the stay then, there's probably another hole on the other side too.

Replacing 'it all' just follow the examples shown and begin the hunt here in items for sale, or posting wanted ads, yard sales, bike swap meets and Ebay are sources.

Look on the bottom of the round cylinder, that is your crank case; referred as a bottom bracket or BB, where pedals are mounted is The crank. the cylinder is called a bottom bracket (BB). There are serial numbers stamped into it, bottom side. post the letters and numbers and somebody will tell U the date which will be anywhere from 1946 too 52. After 52, in 1953; the serial numbers are moved to the left side of a different bracket that is welded at lower end of the 'stay' tube; where the wheel's axel nut is bolted,. sitting on the bike, facing forward then your left hand is left side and visa versa. Same as a car, driver's side is left while passenger is right side.

With that, (Serial numbers) you can search the exact year and find plenty descriptions and illustrations., new, old, ugly and pretty B/C a DX is quite popular and common.

Troll around in searches here too. Topics in search would begin at (Your date) "19?? and the model is called DX. Presumably, it's '1950 Schwinn DX' There's a good search engine here with results of information, photos and catalogs, with various means of cleaning, polishing and restorations. tons of good stuff and folks "Welcome to The C.A.B.E." all to glad to assist. Yey beware: A few may be 'Know-it-all' Smart A's. Some who'll just be poking for fun, U should not take too personal, while the overwhelming great majority want to help newbies to the hobby. Regardless, you've found the best place in the whole net, where it's all at, especially for your machine.

Last edited:
Back