When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My dad passed away and I now have his old Schwinn bike (D-12?)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
"Can you point out the holes you’re talking about?" You don't need to Pretend' B/C most people have no clue, and I had doubt you'd get that too except, if you began hunting for holes in the frame. It's a bit tough but maybe can point it too U in your 1st photo. Go to seat, less than half way to the center of it, below there's a thinner tube, part of the whole frame. In photo that tube has tire behind. at that spot there's a black dot. I believe the dot is the hole. That smaller tube is called the rear stay. B/C there appears to be a hole (black dot) in the stay then, there's probably another hole on the other side too.

Replacing 'it all' just follow the examples shown and begin the hunt here in items for sale, or posting wanted ads, yard sales, bike swap meets and Ebay are sources.

Look on the bottom of the round cylinder, that is your crank case referred as a bottom bracket or BB, where pedals are mounted is The crank. the cylinder is called a bottom bracket (BB). There are serial numbers stamped into it, bottom side. post the letters and numbers and somebody will tell U the date which will be anywhere from 1946 too 52. With that, you can search the exact year and find plenty descriptions and illustrations., new old, ugly and pretty B/C a DX is quite popular and common.

Troll around in searches here too, Topics in search would begin at (Your date) "19?? and the model is called DX. presumably it's '1950 Schwinn DX' There's a good search engine here with results of information, photos and catalogs various means of cleaning, polishing and restorations. tons of good stuff and folks "Welcome to The C.A.B.E." all to glad to assist.
I see the holes you’re talking about. No clue what they were for or what that screw thing is there. Here is a picture of that area you described for the serial number. I can’t seem to find it anywhere

Found it! Looks like my dad‘s bike is a 1952 which sounds about right. He would have been 12 at the time.View attachment 1595358
Yeah, lucky B/C that serial number look up "Tool" does not work too well and that period has been a problem, a real Pain in the A for people who've used it. Rather usually, as it's an cusps, year date for Schwinn. Yours is a [edited] 1953
Schwinn DX. 10-15 years ago, I too got the wrong date, time period having it said the ladies 53 I have was a 40 or so.

Yeah, WT heck your dad made those holes for, I've no clue. And that 'thingy' bolt is inserted into where the fender screw and nut to support the fender (fender bracket) that adds too WTF was he doing with an I bolt there? Hint: between the drilled holes and loop, it makes a triangle which may have been a means to support a thing-a-ma-jig. Kids of earlier days and or before computer games were, like their fathers before, inventive and made things and jigs for what ever reasons, can be tough to imagine today. U dad was14 year older then me. 😉

Last edited:
Yeah, lucky B/C that serial number look up "Tool" does not work too well and that period has been a problem, a real Pain in the A for people who've used it. Rather usually, as it's an cusps, year date for Schwinn. Yours is a 1943 Schwinn DX. 10-15 years ago, I too got the wrong date, time period having it said the ladies 53 I have was a 40 or so.

Yeah, WT heck your dad made those holes for, I've no clue. And that 'thingy' bolt is inserted into where the fender screw and nut to support the fender (fender bracket) that adds too WTF was he doing with an I bolt there? Hint: between the drilled holes and loop, it makes a triangle which may have been a means to support a thing-a-ma-jig. Kids of earlier days and or before computer games were, like their fathers before, inventive and made things and jigs for what ever reasons, can be tough to imagine today. U dad was14 year older then me. 😉
Your guess is as good as mine why he drilled those holes. Knowing him and his tool knowledge, he didn’t make the holes but I’m sure his brother,my uncle, had something to do with it.
How can you tell the difference between a 1943 and 1952?

I'm guessing the holes in the stays are for some type of rear carrier, possibly homemade.

Your serial number was stamped sometime during 08/07 to 08/11/1952-- D20330 -- D40503 so it would be a 1952 model.

There are serial number lists on the CABE over in the Schwinn section. They are very good. Usually you can narrow down when the stamping was done.

There are some cases where Schwinn re-used a serial number sequence only a year or two later, and when you see that you have to look at the rest of the details of the bike itself to figure out what year it is.

The online lookup tool posted above is wrong more often than it is right, and should be avoided.

Back