When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Dads bicycle. I need some help please.

-
Thanks for the input. I have the time being newly retired and think I will try to clean it up first and if not satisfied then completely restore back to its hay day. It’s a ultra cool bike and was special to my Dad since he held onto to for over 75 years!
Randy

Thanks for the input. I have the time being newly retired and think I will try to clean it up first and if not satisfied then completely restore back to its hay day. It’s a ultra cool bike and was special to my Dad since he held onto to for over 75 years!
Randy
Your Dad kept it for 75+ years so it's meant to stay in the family.............
I think it's one that doing the sloooooooooooooow naval jelly / WD40 and various steel wool clean up on could really surprise you.
To me finding what is left of the original paint etc is priceless and tells a bit of a story.
Take it apart carefully - take your time and clean it up piece by piece leaving the patina.
You'd be amazed what might be hiding under that krusty rust..........
Take a look just to get an idea https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/s...r-camelback-patina-alive.199833/#post-1356779

What ever you choose good luck and I hope you keep it in the family

Last edited:
do some searches here for oxalic acid baths. you would be surprised at the difference it can make, even on a pretty toasty looking bike like that. it eats rust and leaves pretty much everything else alone. for the chrome parts try Evaporust. it is cheapest to buy on Amazon.

you take it apart and put the painted parts in a kiddie pool with a water oxy mix. I would definitely try that before a full restoration.

I can’t take credit for the clean up on this one, but it does show that it is possible to preserve the original character of a bike that at first glance, looks to be hopeless.

I can’t take credit for the clean up on this one, but it does show that it is possible to preserve the original character of a bike that at first glance, looks to be hopeless.View attachment 1562777
View attachment 1562790
Wow. Unbelievable that is the same bike. I have been studying the restoration tips thread and am putting a game plan together to see what this beauty is hiding under the rusty coverup. Thanks again for the comments!

Original is good to a point. That has a bunch or corrosion. It will keep going unless it gets removed and sealed. Either chrome or paint. If you want to save it for future family. Do it up right now while you can. Cleaning it up won't stop the deterioration will just prolong it. The longer you wait the higher the cost goes up and rust eats it away. Its up to you which you'd rather ride.

Back