When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Dad's Hawthorne Flyer

-

old flyer

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hello...I am attempting to restore a 1920's (#54000) Hawthorne Flyer that belonged to me father. As you can see from the pictures the bike is complete except for the fork assembly. I currently am searching E-Bay, but with no success. Hoping that someone can point me in the right direc
P1000648.JPG

tion to find a 28" fork with trusses and headset...

P1000643.JPG

do you have a pic.of the headbadge? the sprocket was also used on elgin.take a pic. of the head tube that will also help.if its the bike in your provle pic. it didn't have truss rods.measure the head tube. and find a fork the same measurements.also look on ebay-books- catalogs type in the year you think your bike is and a picture of bikes will show up sooner or later.or click here:https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...tec-ext_onb&hspart=symantec&hsimp=yhs-ext_onb and click here: https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...&n=60&x=wrt&hsimp=yhs-ext_onb&hspart=symantec

Last edited:
Hi Dave and thanks for the response..Unfortunately the head badge is missing. The head tube measures 5 7/16" from top to bottom (picture attached). My original idea was that it was a Hawthorne Flyer because of the Montgomery Ward tires, believed to be original. While the pic of my dad on the bike does not show trusses I was assuming that the fork had been changed?

P1000650.JPG

P1000646.JPG

P1000645.JPG

P1000644.JPG

Frame is Excelsior Michigan City built often for Sears who competed with Montgomery Ward, also in Chicago.
Excelsior fork 40.jpgExcelsior fork 53.jpg
Fork should have 2 hollow truss rods that are brazed at 3 ends, with a wye (yoke) on top; preferable without too many dings and dents.

Last edited:
Archie...Thank you for your response. I'm really excited about identifying my bike and really would like to get it back to ride-able condition. I guess I have two questions. Which head-badge would be correct for this frame and is the fork and headset you pictured available?

The pictures do not show the head tube badge mounting holes too well. If a badge fits, then it may be the right one. Vertical holes are easier to measure and match; horizontal, side or diagonal holes, hit-or-miss; bottle-cap or button badges could likely be Sears (1 ~half inch hole).
Sears Elgin button 2.jpg
A fork I was watching and waiting for the price to go down, either was outbid, or just forgot to ever bid, or did not want to buy the whole frame and fork. Not sure if Excelsior offered the other common bolt-on style of truss forks.
I believe that the headsets may be common (BMX) except maybe for the cups which you already have. If you remove the cups, perhaps measure for special size (1+5/16" or 33mm?), and save them just in case.

Also, maybe look for a replacement stem.

Last edited:
It's great to finally identify my bike ....my main search now is to find a correct fork-truss assembly. I really appreciate the help as I have the passion but not the experience.

Back