When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Dad's Hawthorne Flyer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
You have a nice heirloom project on your hands, but this can get to be expensive, especially in dealing with 28" wheels. Pre-balloon tire bikes (pre-1933ish) had glue-on tubular style tires (tire and tube in one unit that is glued on the rim) These tires are available (Robert Dean's 28" repro tires are the gold standard, but $300+ a pair). Another option is you can relace a 700C clincher rim to the hub but Blunt rims are about $100 each. Add new spokes and tires/tubes and you're in a bucket of serious money. Skiptooth chains are pretty easy to find, usually $30-50. Drop stand is another $75-100. It looks like the stem was sawed off(?), probably because it got stuck and refused to budge. A common problem, but a pretty drastic terminal solution. This would explain why the fork is missing. Fork and truss rod Archie Sturmer showed above is very nice, but pretty hard to find. And in this hobby, when we say "hard to find", we mean expensive. Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but knowledge is free and mistakes are expensive: do your homework and figure out a budget. The CABE is the best forum to help you, so you've come to the right place! Welcome and keep us posted on your progress!

Thank you Jimbo 53 for your helpful information. Being a new member I really am impressed with the CABE. With the help of you all I think I finally have a definitive answer that the frame is indeed an Elgin. Dad lived in a very rural area and probably kept the bike together the best he could. I'm retired and love riding my regular bike almost everyday. I'm looking forward to someday riding my dad's Elgin. Hopefully I can locate the correct fork assembly and then move on to the wheels and tires. Sounds like Robert Dean's repo tires might be a good fit. Again.....thank you and I will continue my fork hunt!!! P.S. I do have the drop stand and skip tooth chain....:)

One year later and restoration of my Dad's 1928 Elgin is nearing completion...Still looking for a correct single pin (or botton badge) and lower truss rod bracket...thanks to all for your help!!

Sir if you post under the Wanted section what you're looking for I'm sure someone can help you out.

Sean

Back