When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first ballooner!

-

FICHT 150

Finally riding a big boys bike
On my way to check out this one:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/bik/3308341739.html

Just looking for a ballooner to play with, maybe re-finish the paint, find a rack, or play with a different rear hub-two speed, three speed, whatever.
Low buck, at this point. If I end up with it, I'll post serial number and date code. Just hoping the wheels are somewhat straight right now. Paint looks to be farmer quality.

Ted

Thats a good start,The higgins parts are easy to locate.Looks like a repaint and sometime with a good paint remover and going slow and easy you can bring the original paint back to life.Good Luck.

It has peaked fenders that aren't in bad shape. There was a light on the front fender at one time, appears long gone. May have been silver paint on the fenders, not sure if that is the original or an older re-paint. The wheels are shot, plain and simple. Found some bottom bracket trivia, thats hard to see-might be more than one re-paint on this old guy.

502 S.-V 4584

THe 9122 numbers are about 1/4 inch tall, the rest might be 1/8th inch. There are a couple of bad gouges in the steel on the bottom of the bottom bracket.

Need wheels, that much I know. Who sels new ballooner rims?

Ted

Got the tires off it, they are junk, but, both tubes hold air! Brake arm for the coaster brake is marked "J.C. Higgins".
I think the fork might be bent.

Ted

Memory Lane sells chrome drop center rims that are pretty decent. $25 each.
Here is a link the the website. http://www.memorylane-classics.com/

If you are looking for pre-built wheels then then try Niagara Cycles, but you will have to settle for a chinese coaster brake.

jc higgins whels

if u need parts there is a bike swap meet oct 28 at andover high school any questions call tracy at 612-275=8896

I'll be at the swap meet, pretty sure I'll have my 1959 Tiger with me. Does anyone know what color sceme this vintage Higgins would be?
I'm pretty sure the bike was painted 3 or 4 times. Memory Lane has some higgins decals, but, I don't know what ones I need.

Ted

And, just like that, the wishbook website shows that model 4586 is a 1956 model ballon tire bike, with a tank, a rack, and a fender light, none of which came with my purchase. Judging by the appearence of the paint on the bike, all those modifications happened a long, long time ago. Oh well, what do you expect for $65?
At this point, the bike will likely end up as a custom, no tank, maybe an aftermarket rack, with new rims, and my paint. I actually like the idea of a three speed with coaster brake, I might go that way, too. They can't all be 100% restorations, and, besides, why would I put $1000 into a 1956 J.C. Higgins to make it worth $400?
Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. I'd like to see a color photo of a 1956 model 4586, if anybody has one.
Thanks in advance,
Ted

Back