When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first ballooner!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It might be. I'm leaning toward NOT going the put-it-all-back-the way-it-was route-I just want a ballooner to ride to the park. I have a
pretty much restored 1959 Schwinn Tiger already, I don't need another parade bike. I only have one butt!
I'm thinking paint the forks and frame, new Wald ballooner fenders, new rims and a two or three speed coaster brake hub on the back. The original hub should work up front. A new Gyes beach cruiser seat, white wall tires (maybe a set of Schwalbe "Fat Franks") glass bead all the chrome parts, and, find my sunglasses and enjoy the ride at that point.
A rack would be cool. But, I'm not going to throw a bunch of money at this old guy.
Ted

Oh, wow. I got the thing apart, and, just like I thought, the fork has been damaged. Someone attempted to repair it, and the thing has a split in the steerer tube about 1 inch long. Junk.
Anyone have a mid 1950s JC Higgins or Murray balloon bike front fork they would part with?
The frame and fenders are better than I thought. I still don't believe I will be using the fenders. The paint in the hidden areas seems to be a candy to transparent red, I bet it looked nice when it was new. Traces of white pinstripes left on the fender edges.
Thanks in advance,
Ted

Back