When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First BIANCHI...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
OK...no laughing. I know it's blasphemy, but I had a pair of 27'' alloy rims with 1 1/4'' tires from a mint condition 10 speed Schwinn from many years ago. I just need something to put on there (and they fit ) so I can eventually place my butt on the saddle and go for a ride. Down the road I'll swap them out, but for now it's whatever I have on hand to get this thing out into the open air.
Tomorrow, at some point, the white handlebar tape gets applied. If I find time, Ole Rusty and I will hit the pavement. More to follow...;)

IMG_3270.jpg

-----

Great to see the 980 now roadworthy!

Thanks for the update. :)

HARPO & bulldog1935 -

have been enjoying muchly your informative posts on this thread.

note on 980 saddle pillar -

the only reason am familiar with this model of bike is because i own one, purchased at garage sale about twenty years back. had not seen one of these pillars previously and it bears no maker's name or model name. it is marked with two florentine script initials and the size. it was only after this thread began that i poked about the internet a bit to learn its identity. thought its presence slightly odd since Bianchi kitted the bicycle with mostly OFMEGA fittings and OFMEGA did make saddle pillars. the brake caliper date marking on my example is 1982. suspect they may have only made it that one year. have been unable to find a Bianchi catalogue for that date online.

wrt Lou's Lenton -

got to examine it in detail prior to his purchase as it was listed on the Los Angeles CL. Lou did a whole lot of cleaning/detailing to get it to its present state! :D gave him a couple tips during the process. he posted regular updates.

-----

Thanks @juvela

It's been a pleasure working on the bike. Funny how you've had one all these years! This project was really close to home!

I've always wanted a Bianchi, in Celeste, of course. Although I've wanted one in much better original condition, this will at least quench my thirst for a while. Hopefully I'll mate the correct size rims to the bike soon, but for now I enjoy just looking at it and knowing I've saved it. This one will remain in the stable for some time...maybe forever.

Thank you, Roger and Ron, for all your help and insights into this project. Its been, of course, a labor of love. And now...time to look for a new one! :D

Fred

I purchased some one step oil based touch up paint this evening, the paint shop spent a lot of time getting it to match extremely well.

If you are in need, I believe I can part with a little
The photo is when the process started.

Tad

FA57DC37-5E02-4F32-8F05-FC7A6585BF2E.jpeg

@petritl ...you have enough to paint a bedroom Celeste green, lol...or work in the Bianchi spray booth in Italy!

Yes, if you wouldn't mind selling me a touch-up bottle worth that would be great. A little goes a long way for my needs.

Thanks Tad so much for the offer!!!
fred

@petritl ...you have enough to paint a bedroom Celeste green, lol...or work in the Bianchi spray booth in Italy!

Yes, if you wouldn't mind selling me a touch-up bottle worth that would be great. A little goes a long way for my needs.

Thanks Tad so much for the offer!!!
fred

Fred,

I’ll look for some bottles this week.

I tried the paint on my worst chip this evening to see how it goes:

6D40BBBB-4B6A-4F12-A814-EEE42399F536.jpeg

D7C20826-85FF-45A2-BE59-5AF610F228EF.jpeg

5E16905E-97F5-48DF-BE68-30915AB6064D.jpeg

Tad, the paint match is unreal!!! You'll soon be getting a letter of "cease and desist" from Bianchi :rolleyes:.

Whenever you get around to finding a bottle is fine, and I appreciate the offer more then you know. I haven't a bike with this many chips and scratches in...well, ever! I'll make sure to do some before and after photos. :)

-----

Looks like Tad may have eno' there to touch up two or three frames. :D

Fred -

Now that I know you are a professional artist I promise never again to make any colour/aesthetic suggestions!

What plans have you for The Lodge come winter? Will you partially disassemble and place into storage or leave out?

-----

Back