When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First BIANCHI...

-
Awesome find, and resto. You cleaned that Bianchi up well. I am the original owner of a 1987 Champione Di Italia. Your 980 is real nice. Ofmega cranks, with a BCD of 140, so a smaller inner chainring than 42t is not possible. (if you were wondering) The rear derailleur is Campy Victory. I have the same on mine. Front may or may not be Victory, not sure, as I switched my cranks to a Campy mid compact. I ride mine all the time in the hills...and well...more weight and less fitness. Lets just leave that alone. LOL

Good job.

-e

-----

The BCD on the machine's OFMEGA Competizione chainset is 144mm. ;)

The manufacturer offers chainwheel dentition down to 41T, subsequently copied by Campag.

1983 OFMEGA catalogue page showing the Competition road ensemble -

2ijsv85.jpg

-----

Last edited:
Ofmega stuff is so goofy looking I wonder how good the derailleurs work. Anyhow very nice Bianchis

Ofmega stuff is so goofy looking I wonder how good the derailleurs work. Anyhow very nice Bianchis

-----

That "banana" rear mech was offered in colours.

They seem to have become something of a collector's item.

Have a powder blue frame hanging in me racks have always dreamed of building up with pink bits. Wanted to get a set of these mechs in that colour for the project. No experience of working with or using them.

v32i6g.jpg

35358r7.jpg

Chromate green was another option for the Mistral gear ensemble -

2uj7gaa.jpg

The Mistral chainset is another OFMEGA item from this era which seems to have taken on some collector value.

2iswf1i.jpg

Brand name an acronym formed of Officine Mecchaniche Giostra.

Sometimes in cycle manufacturer catalogues and brochures it is written as OF.ME.GA. Bianchi one manufacturer who followed this practice.

Company folded tent ~1985.

-----

I still haven't put any miles on this yet...aye carumba! To busy buying more bikes I don't have any more room for, lol. :tonguewink:

Here's a nice Ofmega crank set labeled " Bianchi"- pretty clean and reasonable price. (not mine)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ofmega-Competizione-Cranks-170mm-Bianchi-Pantograph/173689105534?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=20131231084308&meid=0a3055867f624568a5771e23a05c4542&pid=100010&rk=6&rkt=12&sd=223272124578&itm=173689105534&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

I put an Ofmega "Super Record" clone on the old '67 PX 10 a few years back- pretty nice, maybe I'll take a picture. Done- bike under slight cable construction and tires need air. Campy Record rear, Campy 980 front derailleur. Note titanium crank bolts- alloy chain ring bolts and lightweight China pedals. Love 'em!

ofmega 1.jpg

ofmega 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back