When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first bike, a DX

-

mrg

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Just found this pic of my first bike, a dealer ( Russell's Schwinn ) reconditioned with silver repainted rims, green frame & new chrome fenders, one of the bikes they would put out on the sidewalk for sale, my dad went big, 24 in. with training wheels, all the other kids had 20's, don't know if I was around 5 maybe? but couldn't touch the ground. my first of many used Schwinn's. oh ya still have the rear wheel somewhere, I cut the frame up to make a chopper ( moved the pedals forward ) but my dad thought I ruined it and threw it away:mad:

Last edited:
My first bike was a 20" red balloon straight bar that was refurbished. Thinking it was a Schwinn and I'm still searching the family photos trying to find a picture of it. Got it for Christmas 1957 and only rode it in the basement until Spring time came. The training wheels came off the following Summer right before I turned 5. We lived in the red brick house and my Grandparents were at the end of the street with a dead on shot of their garage. My older Brother and I would bomb down the inclined street and my Brother had a habit of riding right into one of the garage doors knocking himself out. Not sure if he knew how the brakes worked and I never asked him. lmao.

1594970682331.png

Last edited:
57 oh man, where was that?, some of the pics I have were slides and had some pics made years ago.

57 oh man, where was that?, some of the pics I have were slides and had some pics made years ago.

That is Janesville Wisconsin, a somewhat current google image. We moved to Arizona the Summer of 59. My Grandparents also owned the lot where the blue house is now and it was a vacant lot when we moved. Grandma later sold the lot before she passed away.

Reactions: mrg
I figured something like that when you mentioned riding in the basement, hopefully you can find some pics!

Back