When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first bike was a brand new 24" DX Schwinn, Christmas Day 1948

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Bikes62557

Look Ma, No Hands!
I didn't have a bike until I was over 9 years old but started out with a brand new Schwinn 24" DX (unequipped). I road that bike until I had to be careful not to hit the handlebars with my knees! I still had it in a stripped down condition up to the time I got my first car. I really do not know what ever happened to the original but in 2002 or 03 I found one same year and model. I rebuilt/restored it to the same specification and equipment that mine came with down to the "Red Crown" Standard Oil valve stem caps that I put on the week I got it in 1948.

My brother and I both got the same model Schwinn's but the were equipped entirely different. His had a Troxel Saddle with Beehive springs, Drop Center rims, New Departure coaster brake with Skip Tooth Chain and an early style ribbed Chain Guard. Mine came with a Lobdell Saddle with compression springs, S2 rims, Bendix coaster brake with 1/2" pitch Chain and the newest style Chain Guard. This was still back when the effects of WWII had manufactures sourcing wherever they could to get their products out. When someone states "they never came out that way" remember that there is an exception for every rule!

It took me several years to find a Juvenile Lobdell Saddle in the same style as my first bike but it did come up eventually. I had built it up as "Equipped" as Schwinn called their DeLuxe models for Bike Shows but decided to bring it back to the bike I had as a kid and start riding it some. See photos from 1948 to today. The photos with bike on grass were taken yesterday as I was on a ride and just had to stop for a photo opp.

1948E&KH-rt1c.jpg

This photo is from a 35mm color slide that my dad took, I also have some 8mm movies taken that day.

Note the WW2 Aviator's Sheepskin Leather Helmets, we were equipped for some High Flying!

I just found this last night in my Mother's old scrap book,
I do not remember seeing it before. Neighbor girl, my brother Kirby, Doris's brother and me!
Of course we are on our New (4 month old) Schwinns, I don't remember what the other bikes were.

Best shot of Curtis's Head Badge. A little time spent and found a Pic on the CABE what a treasure of bike info!

I found this 24" Schwinn in about 2002 after many years of hunting.​

C00671m.jpg

Headlights were held in place by some small but very strong Magnets so I didn't have to drill fenders.
After I finished the 24" I had to rebuild/restore it's Little Brother 20".
Really what happened is I bought a 24" horn tank off of EBay and when It came it was for a 20"!
I had bought the 20" bike to just resell but with the tank and later finding another 24" tank, and as they say "one thing led to another".
634156bcw.jpg

Ann Arbor is what it is all about!​

Simplicity at it's best.​

Unequipped, the way it was.

Last edited:
Back