When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First Bike

-

dweenk

Finally riding a big boys bike
Mine was my sister's bike. She was 8 years older than me and the bike had been stored in the feed room of the chicken house for a long time. It was blue (girls bikes were always blue back then). I couldn't have that; so I found a can of white paint for the frame, and a can of silver paint for the fenders, handle bar, and rims. I taught myself how to replace tires and tubes (bought from Western Auto with grass cutting money). I used screwdrivers as tire jacks.A local gas station had an air compressor to pump the tires.

I rode the hell out of that bike. The tubes had more patches than tube. I carried kids on the back rack, kids sitting on the handle bars, and sometimes on both.

When I was about 14 I stopped riding it and started dreaming about cars. I was about 20 years old before I bought my next bike, a used Sears Austrian built 3 speed (it was black and perfect).

Back