When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first custom

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I like how you filled the frame in with sheet metal, are you going to blend/ fill in the spots where the frame surrounds the seat post tube ? ( Top and Bottom ) I think that would really trick it out. :poutingcat: You'll have a bit of time in on this one..................cutting , welding , grinding.......................then repeat . I hope it rides as per your expectations................can't wait to see it painted . :fearscream:
Ohhhh. OK - Just enough to cover the post tube and stay out of where the chain would run? Maybe align it along the rear fender? I would agree that would look cool.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one painted and rolling as well. Thanks for the updates.

I'm not sure I understand what you guys are talking about with filling in the seatpost.

As for what model the frame was, I have no idea, it was in my friends junk pile.

I knew I lost the Varsity look as soon as I added the first piece from the second frame.

I'm pretty sure I finished the welding on the frame yesterday. I filled in the stays at the dropouts, and finished of the front of the chainstays with pieces of seat stays from a scrap frame. I put the bike together to see how it looks, while it was propped up against the deck posts, I decided to see how strong the frame is. I stood on the bottom bar and bounced up and down on it, not a creak or moan out of it!:D

I've got a little grinding left to do today. I hope to blast the frame over the weekend and get it in epoxy primer.

Last edited:
More progress, I've got the holes drilled to run the cables through the frame.

I lied about being done with welding, I forgot I haven't finished the post for the front derailleur mount. I'm not sure how I want to finish it off. I found aluminum number plates on ebay and cut one the same size out of cardboard to see how it would look. I really like it!
P8110492.JPG

I thought I found the perfect tires for this project. Unfortunately, I didn't know there are two different size 20" wheels. Of course the ones I ordered were 450mm, when I needed 406. I've reordered ones that will fit. I really want to use the 450 front tire, but I haven't found any wheels yet that will fit.

I thought I found the perfect tires for this project. Unfortunately, I didn't know there are two different size 20" wheels. Of course the ones I ordered were 450mm, when I needed 406. I've reordered ones that will fit. I really want to use the 450 front tire, but I haven't found any wheels yet that will fit.
I didn't know that either. Good info.

While looking at the frame this morning, I noticed if I added a gusset to the bottom of the old seat post, the bottom of the frame would have a smooth U shape to it. I also added one to the back of the tube to balance the look. It's a huge improvement on the overall look of the frame, plus it's more bracing.

I also put the new back tire on to see how it looks, I'm not sure if I like it or not.

P8140493.JPG

Last edited:
Back