When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first dismantling hang-up. Need advice

-

Savinsam

Look Ma, No Hands!
Got my Higgins Color Flow totally dismantled now but run into a problem. Even with lots of penetrating oil, I can't get the handle bar bracket to come out of the top fork assembly. Is it supposed to slide up and out? I've been tapping but no movement. Everything was nice and clean to begin with. I don't want to be a 'pest' for you experts, but don't want to damage these parts. Note: the black mark around the piece is from my magic marker. Thanks for any help!

100_3976.JPG

Welcome to the CABE!
put a cruddy set of bars back on, lock your fork onto something and see if stem will at least twist. if so, put jam nut bolt back into stem and partially thread into jam nut, rap top of jam bolt with block of wood and hammer. Jam bolt should push down and loosen. If not, then we may have an issue.

Stem appears to be slightly bent. That is most likely a problem, but do what Bri said and see if the bottom wedge will drop down and allow it to start turning, Then you can put a wheel on, lock the wheel between your legs, grab the handle bar, and twist and lift at the same time.
Once I had one that was so stubborn that I had to clamp the stem in a vise, grab the frame and twist and turn the frame until it twists right off of the stem. It gives you leverage.

No I didn't. Now that makes sense. Didn't realize that there was a wedge in there! I'm going to try it tonight. Thanks!

Back