When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First hub overhaul Mark IV /have questions

-

spleeft

Finally riding a big boys bike
Did my first coaster brake overhaul. A Mark IV Schwinn approved hub that is on a '59 Hollywood I picked up.
Please critique.
I used page 185 in the Schwinn manual as a guide. Had a few hick ups but it was fun.
While cleaning the brake shoes a few copper strands started coming off so I stopped, trying to minimize that. At step 11 you have to "pry" the Driver side dust cap off to service the 10 loose ball bearings . I damaged it trying to pry it off. The pinched section allowed the bearings to come out so I just removed them and cleaned / greased / reinstalled bearings and did my best to reshape the dust cap. I could not get it to come out. There was some type of packing in the dust cap, ( I thought it was dirt and pulled half of it out before I realized maybe that was a mistake ).....I packet grease back in... Is there something else I can replace / put in there?? I might have been able to disassemble the Driver Sprocket Assembly but the damage was already done... maybe Ill go back to it if the wheel gives me problems??? After riding it for a while I'll go back in for a look !
I looked but could not find that driver side dust cap replacement part.
I added a pic of the Hollywood progress for fun ....
hollywoodpost1.JPG

mark4_3.JPG
mark4_4.JPG

mark4_6.JPG
mark4_7.png

mark4_2.JPG

Sorry, no cigar. I used an Excel Mark IV as a guide but out of over 100 dust covers there wasn't a one that was right.

I think it's the same as one of the smaller brand hubs, F&S, Komet, or even Mattatuck. There should be a breakdown/rebuild section in "Glenn's Complete Bicycle Repair". Your local library may even have a copy.

Back