When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First Late '50s HORNET...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks @GTs58 and @Jeff54 for the updates. Making a bit more sense as to why it lies between the two years..."Grab a part close to you and put it on. We need to get rid of old inventory".

As far as dull color, I don't think this bike was ever waxed. Wait until I do my detailing and we'll see the nice bright color it's supposed to be.
Also, I removed that crazy child seat. I'll need to look closer to see if it's a Schwinn or an aftermarket piece.

Oh, and I guess we can blame "Harry" for not taking care of the bike better, lol. Check out the photo I attached.

IMG_4777.jpg

IMG_4778.jpg

IMG_4777.jpg

IMG_4778.jpg

I did a quick wipe down on the top tube and part of the bottom tube, and a quick application of Polishing Compound. Now I know what the green and cream color will look like when I do the entire bike.

IMG_4779.jpg

Think it's about 1957 and It's Opalescent green. albeit Schwinn catalog says "Florida green" pretty sure it's the same color. Rims would be correct 26 1-3/4 S-7's. And although catalog shows different seat, yours is 57 too. It probably is only missing fender light and as there appears to be marks from a tank, it too. Otherwise, with that seat I wouldn't expect a tank.

https://bikehistory.org/bikes/hornet/

Oh, their should be a tank alright, I may have seen one around here on a Cruiser (not for sale though). You might find it on eBay too. I'm betting it's green over chrome with possible the later Schwinn logo...

schwinn-72348182.jpg

ALL the Hornets had tanks, though. And the green is pretty dark, so it's not the Opalescent green. When I get done with it, it will look like a different bike from the one I brought home.

Thanks @GTs58 and @Jeff54 for the updates. Making a bit more sense as to why it lies between the two years..."Grab a part close to you and put it on. We need to get rid of old inventory".

As far as dull color, I don't think this bike was ever waxed. Wait until I do my detailing and we'll see the nice bright color it's supposed to be.
Also, I removed that crazy child seat. I'll need to look closer to see if it's a Schwinn or an aftermarket piece.

Oh, and I guess we can blame "Harry" for not taking care of the bike better, lol. Check out the photo I attached.

It sure would be nice if Harry could tell us the story on this Hornet. It's a little more involved than "Grab a part close to you and put it on. We need to get rid of old inventory".

Could you post a shot of the serial number? This bike has piqued my curiosity.

Ah, now I see the color much better, it's not radiant or Opel, but prob Coach green. However, is that Florida green or are Coach and Florida the same color? IDK .

I did a quick wipe down on the top tube and part of the bottom tube, and a quick application of Polishing Compound. Now I know what the green and cream color will look like when I do the entire bike.

View attachment 919190

Last edited:
The color looks to be the same as my 1958 Green Phantom. This bike also has the letter then 8 type serial number which was new that year. Do not know what Schwinn called the color. Frame is original paint. Roger
PICT0001.jpg

Back