When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first lightweight!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Bikes&buses

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello, everyone!
I just wanted to share my first lightweight with you. It is an 08/03/1959 built Schwinn Varsity. I believe that it has had a few changes over the years as it is now a 10speed, has different bars/seat, and has had fenders added.
20200417_112158.jpg

Last edited:
Its a beauty but newer than '59. Post the serial number,Its on the L/H rear fork just above the axle

Here is a photo of the serial number. I decoded it earlier using bikehistory.org, is that not an accurate website?
20200426_161142.jpg

Here is a photo of the serial number. I decoded it earlier using bikehistory.org, is that not an accurate website?View attachment 1182018

No, it's definitely not an accurate website and this proves that fact. How it even came up with a 1959 serial is the biggest mystery! I was actually doing a little checking just yesterday on that site and it gave me the wrong date on a May 1970 serial number saying it was 6-1-59 number. This bike was made during the time when Schwinn transferred the serial numbers from the drop out to the head tube. The bike in the photo below had two May 1970 serial numbers. One was stamped on the drop out and one was stamped on the head tube.

Your Varsity is a 1969 model.

1587936795567.png

No, it's definitely not an accurate website and this proves that fact. How it even came up with a 1959 serial is the biggest mystery! I was actually doing a little checking just yesterday on that site and it gave me the wrong date on a May 1970 serial number saying it was 6-1-59 number. This bike was made during the time when Schwinn transferred the serial numbers from the drop out to the head tube. The bike in the photo below had two May 1970 serial numbers. One was stamped on the drop out and one was stamped on the head tube.

Your Varsity is a 1969 model.

View attachment 1182036
Very interesting! It being a 1969 model makes much more sense! Could you kindly point me to a more reliable source?

-----

two tips -

on the cycle's Weinmann rear brake caliper either the outer caliper arm is bent or the pivot bolt has come loose

on the Maeda rear gear mech the maker's mounting instructions state to adjust the angle of the pantograph so that is is parallel to the chainstay for optimal shifting performance. there is a small adjustment screw at the rear of the body for doing this.

-----

Reactions: Miq
-----

two tips -

on the cycle's Weinmann rear brake caliper either the outer caliper arm is bent or the pivot bolt has come loose

on the Maeda rear gear mech the maker's mounting instructions state to adjust the angle of the pantograph so that is is parallel to the chainstay for optimal shifting performance. there is a small adjustment screw at the rear of the body for doing this.

-----
Many thanks for the tips! not only is this my first lightweight, but it is also my first multispeed cassette bike! I will make the adjustments before tonight's ride!

Back