When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first post here, and pics of a 1972 Super Sport I picked up over the weekend..

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

olddude55

Look Ma, No Hands!
Schwinn Super Sport pic 2.jpg

Schwinn Super Sport pic 1.jpg

It's in pretty good nick, but I had it up on the workstand yesterday and the rear hub is noisy. Sounds like the bearings are running dry. Also, when I put 70 PSI in the tires, the front did this:
Schwinn Super Sport tire not good.jpg

The tires are Kenda K35s.
I'm' going to repaint the chain stays and seat stays, touch up the rest of the dings and nicks. Can't find any tutorials on the rear hub--do these old tanks use caged bearings?

I plan to ride this bike, at the very least on some local roads with light traffic or possibly local rails-to-trails which aren't any less smooth than many of our roads. I see a lot of roadbikes on the trails.
Looking for better tires. I know how to service the rear hub, too.

Hi, The bottom bracket and headset are caged, the hubs are loose ball and cup. Have fun with it! They are heavy by most road bike standards, but they are smooth as glass, once you are rolling.

Out for the first ride, pulled the shift lever for the front derailleur too far. Threw the chain, which jammed. No tools, pushed it back to the car.
Yesterday, cleaned and oiled the chain, took it out pedaling around some local roads. Brakes aren't worth a damn, but the bike rides well, and has a good gear ratio.
The chain, however, is totally and completely shot. Enough slack to weave a rug, whatever that means.

New brake pads were needed on every single geared bike I've picked up over the last 12 years, all 50's and 60's bikes. The ones I ride had the pads changed out before riding any further than the driveway. When I was kid I could make the rear wheel go up and over the front wheel on my Varsity just by using the front brake. This was done for fun doing a flip and crash landing in a big pile of leaves.

Last edited:
Back