When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first project! But need help identifying first.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
LA's Totally Awesome Orange degreaser WILL remove paint! I'm not sure about other brands. Use with caution! Check your rag frequently for paint.

What I love about this bike, is that if it showed up in restored condition, everybody would say that it's a Morphodyte, and that they never made it in that trim configuration.
I really like its schizophrenic syling. With one foot in the 1930s and the other foot in the 1940s. Very cool bike and as original as it gets.

Last edited:
DON"T STRIP THE CHROME!!! Just leave the chrome as is. Try to clean what you can with steel wool you bought. Other then that, leave it. Original rust is better then rechroming, or stripping it to bare steel which will be even rustier then it is now in no time at all.

As far as the button, it looks like an aftermarket horn button from a made in taiwan style 60's or 70's horn. The wire would have ran to the horn to activate it. The horn was most likely mounted on the handlebars. Btw, spin that stem around and loosen the stem bolt that holds the bars and reverse the bars so they look like this...... Oh and you can buy some repop coke bottle grips for it or the torpedo style grips here on the cabe from one of the guys on here.

Here is my bike for some inspiration. Mine is earlier then yours. And the fenders,rack,and guard on mine are optional and extremely hard to find. Took many years to aquire. The knuckleguards are hard to find also.

Photo100_zps70387cde-1.jpg

Killer bike and also killer story to go along with this bicycle. Just clean her up as best as she will clean up and enjoy riding it. This is a great save another bicycle form the scrap heap:cool:!!

great story and find. I can't even find an old jc penny bike at the curb around here the scrappers snatch everything up within minutes.

Leave the chrome original & the paint too ....

ORIGINAL IS KING .... Everyone hopes to find a bike in this condition -- UNMOLESTED & as original as it can get -- Most likely a 1940 model with the parts - but man what a cool survivor -- Thank your Aunt for us in the hobby --

MILD CLEANING on it ... but the way it sits is great too ...
If you wanted to tackle the chrome & the chrome only on the bars & crankset - the best product that I have run across is called " Bar Keepers Friend " sold at Lowes & other stores ... get the powder form which is in a gold cardboard can with a blue shield on it ... then get a small toothbrush & wet it & dip it into some of the Bar Keepers powder ( usually put a small amount in a plastic cup ) & do small a small area at a time & rinse & repeat - just let the product work its magic -- again great for chrome - the product should not be used on paint --

If you wanted to tackle the painted parts ( again stay clear of the pinstripes ) ... mild ... try Lemon pledge - you might be surprised ... steel wool ( even 0000 ) WILL REMOVE PAINT no matter how careful you are with it .... if you want to polish it a little here is what a old timer told me to use ... toothpaste ... that's right toothpaste ... a simple Crest without whiteners & gels in it is ideal & a damp cotton cloth .. a very fine polish that works surprisingly well ... the shine will come back .. protect finish with a PURE CARNUBA WAX ...

Maintenance is general -- Clean & re-grease and / or replace the bearings in the hubs - headset - bottom bracket & new tubes & modern tires for a better ride or originals to keep the authenticity of the Shelby .... either way you have yourself a real gem there ...

Below is a few pictures from our "Shelby Invasion Ride" a few months back ....

Please feel free to contact me with ANY questions or concerns - OR if you EVER want to sell this beautiful bike .. Ride Vintage .. Frank

attachment.php

attachment.php

Clean up

Personally I don't think this bike will require a vinegar bath. I would get the 0000 steel wool and some WD-40 and be very careful around the pinstripe-it can come off really quickly. After that a mild polishing compund followed by a good wax and you should call it a day! I just caution you to go slow and easy--once paints gone it don't grow back! V/r Shawn

This works the best ive seen so far.sometimes chemicals can tarnish-dull the chrome .wd 0000 steel wool.will work magic freqman is on it

Putting off any cleaning/polishing till i read some more.

but i do want to get the mechanicals working. i noticed the headset was loose when i rode it so i tried to tighten the quill bolt.
this did nothing
so i dissasembled the headset and found the quill bolt attaches to nothing(in photos). I also found the front wheel doesnt fully attach to the headset/stem. Theres just a little 2" nub with a pin sticking thru it.
it appears the pin has been worn down/sheared off and is not doing its job properly anymore.
or am i reading this wrong?

what do i need to do to get this headset/fork back in good order?

thanks
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
5.jpeg

Shelby airflow

I still can't believe someone was gonna throw this beautiful machine out to trash. Again, your very lucky!!!

Back