When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first renovation

-

bathpro

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I picked up this little girl last weekend. This is going to be my first renovation project. She's a little crusty, but mostly complete. A 50's era (I think) Schwinn. I could use a little help ID-ing and dating her. I might need a few parts when I get her back together.
IMG_2364 - Copy.jpg
IMG_2367.jpg
IMG_2368.jpg
IMG_2370.jpg
IMG_2371.jpg
IMG_2373.jpg
IMG_2374.jpg

View attachment 1284296

Think you have a lot of mix-parts 0n what appears to be at least 1951 on bottom bracket where by 52 it moved serial number to the rear dropout. . Chain ring not Schwinn it's CWC, rims, goose neck or stem and brake made later. This would be by frame paint ID considered a DX and those fenders ya got aint on DX's. It would have S2 size rims and yours appear to be S7, ( double check near stamped in rim'' the inner tube stem,, which, S2 Balloon or S7; middleweight) IDK can't be sure. However S7 middle weight would, have both the fenders and rims by 1954- forward. That could include you stem and late 50's and up> seat. I.E. your bike and parts are bouncing around all over the place.. Chain guard is in the lowest group that a DX may be but also could be parts of newer pieces too in lowest selection. The rear carrier was also issued in mid 50's but maybe earlier. Regardless, it'll take a bunch returning every thing to pre 52 frame status B/C it seems somebody swapped newer parts onto your pre middle weight ballooner frame. and no name on chain guard put in another disadvantage I.D.-ing it. .

The chain ring sprocket looks to be a 1/2” pitch style made by Snyder for Montgomery Ward Hawthorne bicycles. It could have been swapped out for 1/2” chain and compatibility with a rear wheel.

I hope you are not discouraged. All bike owners are mongrels. My ancestors bred with anyone close at hand and I did a little of that myself in the sixties. Like your new friend, most of our bodies work just fine with a little help. This girl could have been thrown away several times in her life but poor kids saved her? Her eclectic parts describe her DNA story without spitting in a tube. Ain't the CABE great?

Thanks for all the info. I was one of those who swapped and shared bike parts in the 60's to keep 2 wheels on the road. So far, it's been a good learning experience working on her and a very small investment. I'll post more pics when she's back together.

These late 40s Schwinn D-37s make great cruisers. Put a Wald rack on the front and you've got the perfect ride for a trip to the farmers market. That paint looks like it will clean up nicely with a good dose of patina left over from all those years. The one I found a few years ago was just a frame covered in layers of spray paint. Here's a before and after. It's rides so solid I can ride it for blocks and around corners no hands.

Just like your's I switched out a half inch pitch sprocket and chain I had and it sat for a year or so until I found a correct fork. Have fun with it. The kids on my block love riding these old bikes.;)

What's left of the original paint polished up well.

PS, forgot to post the serial number also a B number, B93405, same year?

Last edited:
Back