When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first renovation

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bathpro

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I picked up this little girl last weekend. This is going to be my first renovation project. She's a little crusty, but mostly complete. A 50's era (I think) Schwinn. I could use a little help ID-ing and dating her. I might need a few parts when I get her back together.
IMG_2364 - Copy.jpg
IMG_2367.jpg
IMG_2368.jpg
IMG_2370.jpg
IMG_2371.jpg
IMG_2373.jpg
IMG_2374.jpg

View attachment 1284296

Think you have a lot of mix-parts 0n what appears to be at least 1951 on bottom bracket where by 52 it moved serial number to the rear dropout. . Chain ring not Schwinn it's CWC, rims, goose neck or stem and brake made later. This would be by frame paint ID considered a DX and those fenders ya got aint on DX's. It would have S2 size rims and yours appear to be S7, ( double check near stamped in rim'' the inner tube stem,, which, S2 Balloon or S7; middleweight) IDK can't be sure. However S7 middle weight would, have both the fenders and rims by 1954- forward. That could include you stem and late 50's and up> seat. I.E. your bike and parts are bouncing around all over the place.. Chain guard is in the lowest group that a DX may be but also could be parts of newer pieces too in lowest selection. The rear carrier was also issued in mid 50's but maybe earlier. Regardless, it'll take a bunch returning every thing to pre 52 frame status B/C it seems somebody swapped newer parts onto your pre middle weight ballooner frame. and no name on chain guard put in another disadvantage I.D.-ing it. .

The chain ring sprocket looks to be a 1/2” pitch style made by Snyder for Montgomery Ward Hawthorne bicycles. It could have been swapped out for 1/2” chain and compatibility with a rear wheel.

I hope you are not discouraged. All bike owners are mongrels. My ancestors bred with anyone close at hand and I did a little of that myself in the sixties. Like your new friend, most of our bodies work just fine with a little help. This girl could have been thrown away several times in her life but poor kids saved her? Her eclectic parts describe her DNA story without spitting in a tube. Ain't the CABE great?

Thanks for all the info. I was one of those who swapped and shared bike parts in the 60's to keep 2 wheels on the road. So far, it's been a good learning experience working on her and a very small investment. I'll post more pics when she's back together.

These late 40s Schwinn D-37s make great cruisers. Put a Wald rack on the front and you've got the perfect ride for a trip to the farmers market. That paint looks like it will clean up nicely with a good dose of patina left over from all those years. The one I found a few years ago was just a frame covered in layers of spray paint. Here's a before and after. It's rides so solid I can ride it for blocks and around corners no hands.

Just like your's I switched out a half inch pitch sprocket and chain I had and it sat for a year or so until I found a correct fork. Have fun with it. The kids on my block love riding these old bikes.;)

What's left of the original paint polished up well.

PS, forgot to post the serial number also a B number, B93405, same year?

Last edited:
Back