When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first Sting-Ray

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

videoranger

Wore out three sets of tires already!
This 65 lime deluxe overdrive is the first Sting-Ray I have actually owned. I purchased this bike from the original owner that bought it in Denver with his paper route money. It's really a nice all original (except for rear tire replaced in 1968). The odd thing about this bike is the fact it was an ebay buy for $450 and no one else bid on this bike (which I was quite happy about). I rode and customized Sting-Rays back in the day, but never really had one of my own. I dismissed Sting-Rays as "kids bikes" for many years as a collector, and never got the bug to find one until recently. I sure blew it years ago when I passed over them; now I love these little guys. I have bikes from 1901, 1930's, 1940's, 1950's, 1970's, 1980's and a couple of late model Schwinn select series cruisers with seven speed hubs. Nine of my bikes came from original owners and have some good stories from their earlier days. Anyway, I thought you all might enjoy some pics. Jim

Attachments

• DSCN1193.jpg
    DSCN1193.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN0059.jpg
    DSCN0059.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN1185.jpg
    DSCN1185.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 119
I'm a balloon tire bike type of guy but I'll have to admit, that is one great looking bike. I may would have to think twice about that one. Congrats.

Thanks guys. It's interesting to note that Sting-Rays were actually more like small adult bikes than like little kids bikes. They are built just like their bigger balloon brothers and are really heavy duty. This bike rides very smooth and the overdrive hub is especially nice. I didn't realize how these bikes are still fun riders for us big boys. I can remember putting a huge stretch fork on my brothers bike and riding a wheelie for an hour with a whamo wheelie bar on a blacktop church parking lot. Ghost rides and stunts were also standard fare for us. It's amazing to find one so clean and nice.

nice lime!

Incredible bike, limeys are the best!
GenuineRides

Attachments

• limeys 001.jpg
    limeys 001.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 85
  • limeys 002.jpg
    limeys 002.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 76
Very nice Sting-ray, is that a shorty? Grabbing that off ebay for 450.00 was a great deal, congrats, it's a beauty!!!

Oh man, that's amazing for $450. Must be a sign of the times. Five years ago I'm pretty sure that would have gone for $700 plus, maybe even a grand. If I would have seen it on eBay I would have bought it quick and then sold off some of my other bikes to swing it.

The other neat thing about your bike (other than the fact that's it's just freakin' awesome) is that the frame is the taller version (not a shortie) introduced in April '65 (give or take a month) which makes your combination of frame size and color a sub-one-year combination.

I also have a later '65 Lime, so I've thought about all this before. Mine is somewhat worn, so I took some liberties with it and tossed on a later 3 speed coaster hub with a thumb trigger. Also added a stupid-tall sissy bar. Great color, the Limes.

Cheers, Geoff

I was totally surprised when the auction didn't get another bid at the last seconds. This bike was listed before at a higher price with no bids. The condition of this bike must be one of the best examples still around. The flamboyant lime paint is my favorite color on a Sting-Ray and this was truly a lucky find as I only started looking for an affordable Ray about a month or two before coming across this one. I also posted a pic of my 49 straight bar "street rod" to show Geoff where a really nice set of 26" balloon nexus seven wheels he sold me ended up. I love those wheels and still thank Geoff every time I ride the 49.:)

Attachments

• DSCN1201.jpg
    DSCN1201.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN1200.jpg
    DSCN1200.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 82
  • bike project 2010 051crop.jpg
    bike project 2010 051crop.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 85
I watched that bike go through, and was FLOORED at the end when no one went higher. It's a beauty.

I bought one that is a little less beautimus, but is an earlier one (a '64) with the short frame. I like it!

Here's my slice of Lime:

REC

Back