When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Grandfather's Bicycle parts collection

-
Price
550 OBO
Zipcode
I believe that the "whole-lot" idea would be nice, but perhaps only for the seller.
Maybe consider all comers to "make an offer" for any items; or buy-one/take-one?

Sounds like he was an awesome grandpa.
Sorry for the loss.
If I was able to buy I'm far from that area or I would gladly buy the whole lot as I've enjoyed helping and teaching lesser fortunate kids to build their own bikes and get the enjoyment of keeping whatever bike they built .
I do hope it all goes to good home

Welcome to the Cabe. Sorry for your loss. My Dad died last June at 93. Your Grandpa sounds and looks like he was a sharp fellow and a bicycle lover. I met a fellow in his 80's about 35 years ago and he did the same as your Gramps. We became good friends. I bought quite a few parts and bikes off Pete ( he died in 2003 at age 95) when I was quite new to the hobby. I've been at it about 40 years now and just turned 65. Good luck with the parts, hope they go to a good home.

My opinion is that there are some items in there that are worth digging for , and a handful of small lots , separated , sorted a bit will get you well over your $550.

what you really need is a few things to begin with :

1.) get everything that came from Walmart outside the barn , make a pile. if you are not sure , look for names like "magna " " Next " etc , etc .

if it says a bike shop quality bike name on it .... campagnolo, trek , specialized, fuji , etc goes in the barn.
there are lots of lists online from biking co-op donation sites and from bike buyers of things the WILL NOT ACCEPT ,
its safe to through out pretty much anything stamped Made in china and advisable to keep anything stamped made in taiwan , japan , Europe and USA in the barn

and DO take the white Schwinn traveler , and the roadmaster frame into the barn.

2.) find someone in the family , your church , a friend , or a good doer, a local bike mechanic who knows bikes to help you sort and sift , old ( pre 1980's part and pieces and bikes may have value , as may better best quality when new from 1980's onward )
tell this person you want to preserve / harvest old school stuff, and ID modern era stuff.

if you get such a persons time , line up a third person and yourself to stand by with markers and tags , grocery twist ties to wright what they ID onto labels.

3.) line up a metal scrapper take a pic of the pile and offer him $20 towards gas money to take the pile away.

4.) group and sell off manageable lots. Lots that fit into the likely buyers POV, whatever vehicle they are likely gonna roll up in. each lot should fit into an average car or SUV with some careful breakdown and packing by the buyer and no lot should larger than fits into a full size suv , or pickup truck bed .

5.) tools: your grandpa likely had lots of other types of tools other than bike specific tools. take your time with these and once the family has taken what they want , ask those family folks to ID and price tools.... tools always sell well if you know what it is you have and describe. IF you old clamps , vises or bike specific tools , you ( or your cousin ) are well on the way to $550

once you manage to get the walmart stuff outta there, and if you turn up some sorted (better quality / or vintage ) bikes and parts , do pass along pics and i'm sure you'll find folks here to ID older stuff or current stuff that might be of value. including piles of nuts and bolts if they are bike specific.

Finally , there's an army of guys here that hold onto big piles of bikes and bike stuff.... we all have to face it , sooner or later , our kids and grand kids are gonna have to deal with our pile , realistically , most will chuck it in a dumpster .

But , your grandpa would be honored if you can find time to sort out some of the better / coolest things and get make an effort to get the best reasonable value you can under the circumstances.

good luck!

Last edited:
My opinion is that there are some items in there that are worth digging for , and a handful of small lots , separated , sorted a bit will get you well over your $550.

what you really need is a few things to begin with :

1.) get everything that came from Walmart outside the barn , make a pile. if you are not sure , look for names like "magna " " Next " etc , etc .

if it says a bike shop quality bike name on it .... campagnolo, trek , specialized, fuji , etc goes in the barn.
there are lots of lists online from biking co-op donation sites and from bike buyers of things the WILL NOT ACCEPT ,
its safe to through out pretty much anything stamped Made in china and advisable to keep anything stamped made in taiwan , japan , Europe and USA in the barn

and DO take the white Schwinn traveler , and the roadmaster frame into the barn.

2.) find someone in the family , your church , a friend , or a good doer, a local bike mechanic who knows bikes to help you sort and sift , old ( pre 1980's part and pieces and bikes may have value , as may better best quality when new from 1980's onward )
tell this person you want to preserve / harvest old school stuff, and ID modern era stuff.

if you get such a persons time , line up a third person and yourself to stand by with markers and tags , grocery twist ties to wright what they ID onto labels.

3.) line up a metal scrapper take a pic of the pile and offer him $20 towards gas money to take the pile away.

4.) group and sell off manageable lots. Lots that fit into the likely buyers POV, whatever vehicle they are likely gonna roll up in. each lot should fit into an average car or SUV with some careful breakdown and packing by the buyer and no lot should larger than fits into a full size suv , or pickup truck bed .

5.) tools: your grandpa likely had lots of other types of tools other than bike specific tools. take your time with these and once the family has taken what they want , ask those family folks to ID and price tools.... tools always sell well if you know what it is you have and describe. IF you old clamps , vises or bike specific tools , you ( or your cousin ) are well on the way to $550

once you manage to get the walmart stuff outta there, and if you turn up some sorted (better quality / or vintage ) bikes and parts , do pass along pics and i'm sure you'll find folks here to ID older stuff or current stuff that might be of value. including piles of nuts and bolts if they are bike specific.

Finally , there's an army of guys here that hold onto big piles of bikes and bike stuff.... we all have to face it , sooner or later , our kids and grand kids are gonna have to deal with our pile , realistically , most will chuck it in a dumpster .

But , your grandpa would be honored if you can find time to sort out some of the better / coolest things and get make an effort to get the best reasonable value you can under the circumstances.

good luck!
Thank you this is actually helpful I would donate what I could but the guy who dose local bikes for kids for Christmas said their aren't any he's interested in and I need to earn money for house taxes as when he passed I lost my job as well as inherited the house and everything in his shed and an having issues finding a new job after being his sole caregiver for 14 years....but thank you for the advice it really helps. Ohh and burried in the tools and parts is a Schwinn stingray chopper bike that looks like a motorcycle with a fat rear tire and normal front. That has no breaks and a seat torn all to heck...

There’s a guy in Fallon Missouri that’s always advertising bike stuff. Maybe ask around local someone has to know a guy that knows a guy. You have a lot of parts that you seem to want to go to good use and a big heart just like my relatives in Columbia mo

Unfortunately on every local marketplace there is an ad listing bikes like this......and they never sell......find a local scrapper and have them take it all.......and you can check that off your to do list......

Back