When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Grandfathers Western Flyer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

WeishaarKC

On Training Wheels
Hi everyone, I just pulled my grandfathers Western Flyer out of his basement. I believe he bought the bike when he got home from WW2 and he kept it for the rest of his life. He passed away a couple years ago at 99 years old so I can’t ask him anything about it, unfortunately. I know my dad rode it some as a kid but he doesn’t remember much about it either. I have this old photo of my grandfather with the bike and id love to put it back to the way it was in this photo. If anybody could help me ID exactly what it is and where to get parts if there’s anywhere else other than eBay. It looks like I need the tank, the headlight, the correct front fender, and the correct chain guard.
13219BB8-7441-403A-889A-F69FEAA368A3.jpeg

F19D54C7-CE07-4D6B-A75B-B9E8082993D4.jpeg

2C308B43-E2AD-45D3-ABBB-BE564388353A.jpeg

I’d also potentially be interested in putting a motor back on it like he had it just because of how much he would talk about how he enjoyed riding him and my grandmother around the City on it. Thanks in advance!

Awesome score
yea, evilbay and the for sale/wanted sections here is about it for finding parts. swap meets and flea markets are another option. You're in the right place.
I've got my grandfather's Hiawatha I'm working on. Nice to ride around wonder about the old daze.

cheers

I'm thinking 1941 CWC built bike. Post in the wanted section for parts but be patient. Also if any swaps in your area try those. V/r Shawn

Welcome to the Cabe. Cool pic. Wish ya the best of luck finding your mia parts.

I'm thinking 1941 CWC built bike. Post in the wanted section for parts but be patient. Also if any swaps in your area try those. V/r Shawn

Thanks man! I just looked in the ongoing CWC thread and it does appear to be a 1941 based on that. What’s the giveaway for CWC? Just trying to learn as much as I can. I guess since they basically stopped making bikes during the war, when he got home the only thing available was stuff that was made before the war because production hadn’t ramped back up yet. Very stoked to at least have the year pinned down.

Thanks man! I just looked in the ongoing CWC thread and it does appear to be a 1941 based on that. What’s the giveaway for CWC? Just trying to learn as much as I can. I guess since they basically stopped making bikes during the war, when he got home the only thing available was stuff that was made before the war because production hadn’t ramped back up yet. Very stoked to at least have the year pinned down.

The fork and frame. That tank may be a little tough to get and if you find one the cost may surprise you. I'd definitely remove that '60s middleweight tank someone put on there though. V/r Shawn

There are repro tanks that become available now and then, from CWC Roadmaster bikes of the 1990's(?).
A repro Roadmaster tank might not be an exact match, but such preferences should depend on the owner.
AMF-CWC Road Master (WF) 11.jpg Tires of color 1.jpg

Not too sure about the peculiarities of Western Flyer tanks, e.g., sheet-metal stamping differences, (if any; many were more plain looking).
A key feature in recognizing the CWC split tanks, besides the straight bottom and chevron front, is the flared tail piece at the rear end.
Since other manufacturers, (e.g., Huffman, Murray), made bicycles for Western Auto, some Western Flyer tanks will not fit CWC-built frames.
The kick stand may suffice until a 26" drop stand is obtained; they become available now and then.
Pick any color for tires, black-wall or whitewall tires should contrast with red rims.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for all the good info. I’ll keep my eyes on the classifieds and eBay for parts. Does anyone have a good resource for vintage looking tires? It has some weird Chinese ones on it now that are pretty cracked. I’d like to get some proper tires on it that look original.

Back